70E Compliant Residential Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

al

Some thoughts for a 70E compliant residential service:

Consider if I put a main fused disconnect or circuit breaker adjacent to a MLO load center.

Then to work in the load center I would:
1. Do the proper PPE
2. Open the main
3. Remove the MLO cover
4. Voltage test L-L and L-G

Then if no voltage I can remove my PPE and do work.
So, in this case the only time I would need a power company disconnect is to work on the service disconnect.

One for Zog?

billsnuff

#4 requires a Live-Dead-Live voltage test.

test a known source
test the equipment
retest known source

that verifies that the meter is working properly........but I'm sure that was implied in #4.........

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Consider if I put a main fused disconnect or circuit breaker adjacent to a MLO load center.

So, in this case the only time I would need a power company disconnect is to work on the service disconnect.
You are correct.
Mounting the main breaker in its own enclosure is a common recommendation for 70E compliance.

WDeanN

Just a note:
70E does not apply to residential services. It does apply to workers working on the service.

That being said, you will need to convince the homeowner or builder that they should put up the extra money and space for a separate disconnect that is not required.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Gonna make troubleshooting VERY difficult.

Mark

Wire a home. Run all the wires and just place them in the correct outlets.

Then I will come in with a Wiggy and connect all then wires properly and when I turn the power on everything will work.

If you want I'll even place all 3 ways and 4 ways in the down postion before applying power.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
You should actually read the link

I had read the link and all of 70E (many times). I was being sarcastic about the comment that one can "NEVER work residential live". 70E permits live work for electrical testing. I have all the right PPE and I use it (when I go into a panel or large disconnect). No one is ever going to convince me to suit up to test voltages on a 15/20A branch circuit. There just isn't enough fault current available (but I do wear my class 0 gloves).

I was thinking back - And since I started taking REASONABLE precautions, I haven't been lit up in a few years (used to happen a few times a year). I guess this stuff works.

Mark

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
CMP 9 does not seem to understand this issue. I had submitted a proposal that would have required a two part service panel, with the line side physically isolated so that with the main breaker off, you could work on the load side breakers and bus without violating the OSHA rules as we all do now because it is not likely you can get the utility to shut off the service on the line side of the service disconnect just because you want to install an new circuit.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
Don,

I FULLY support your proposal. It would be such a simple change to have a snap in plastic cover over the lugs on the MCB.

I've said many times that no one who is getting paid to install a residential circuit is going to get a PoCo service interruption to do the work (and even if they did, the lineman is just going to pull the meter without any PPE anyway). You propose a good alternative.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.