Neutral not present in 120VAC circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Transportation Guy

I posted an add in Lighting but figured this was the correct place. I have a customer that connected to one leg of a 240VAC circuit and the EGC to power some "pretend" GFCI receptacles for 120VAC outdoor lighting. Larry Fine replied and I was hoping some more professionals of our trade would give their 2 cents worth (safety opinion or facts)because I value your expertise. I want to use the repsonses in a letter to my customer. I think they believe I am trying to get more money for a project because "this has worked for years with no issue. Their are roughly 10 of these receptacles on property as well as a few close to the jacuzzi and outdoor pool.

Thanks,
Pete
Master Electrician
Williamsburg, VA

dereckbc

Staff member
Well the biggest issue is going to be the voltage drop developed on the EGC. When and if someone gets hurt from being electrocuted a Lawyer will explain it to them before they go to civil court to fight off a law suit. Then they will understand. :mad::roll:

mcclary's electrical

Well the biggest issue is going to be the voltage drop developed on the EGC. When and if someone gets hurt from being electrocuted a Lawyer will explain it to them before they go to civil court to fight off a law suit. Then they will understand. :mad::roll:

Not to mention that if something happens to cause an "open" in the grounding conductor, that they are using as a grounded conductor, all metallic parts of everthing using those EGC's are now going to become energized to line voltage.

Last edited:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Status
Not open for further replies.