Red f/a j.b's

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a Fire alarm system going into a comm. bldg. w/emt and boxes, and have been told by the I.O.R. we "by code " have to paint all 4square boxes "RED". i couldn't find this , however at other jobs it was in the spec. book not on this job.

This is a 3 story bldg. w/ approx. 100 boxes allready installed,not painted ! i do not have labor in the budget to go back!! is there a code section that requiers these to be painted ?? they do have an F/A sharpied on the cover!!

AV ELECTRIC

maybe there so used to seeing the red boxes they just take it for granted that it is code and not just a spec. requirement. I had a job that speced out the conduit to be red . Maybe he will meet you half way and just paint the covers red .

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
This is a 3 story bldg. w/ approx. 100 boxes allready installed,not painted ! i do not have labor in the budget to go back!! is there a code section that requiers these to be painted ?? they do have an F/A sharpied on the cover!!

Color coding the boxes is not required by NFPA 72. I frequently see it in the specs. It may be a local amendment; ask to see a copy of the enabling ordinance. If it's going to cost you that much money it might be prudent to push back a little (politely!).

Try Space Age Electronics here for the boxes. They also sell the cover plates separately ($0.98 each at my local branch of ADI); maybe the inspector will meet you half way.

iwire

Staff member
Although I may be mistaken I think NFPA 72 requires fire alarm junction boxes to be 'identified'.

Spray painting covers red is cheaper and faster than labels that say "Fire"

gadfly56

Occupation
Although I may be mistaken I think NFPA 72 requires fire alarm junction boxes to be 'identified'.

Spray painting covers red is cheaper and faster than labels that say "Fire"

Yes, in chapter 9.7 dealing with Public Cable Plant

"Cabling systems and interconnections between alarm transmission equipment and alarm-receiving equipment shall comply with the requirements of Section 9.7." It appears to be aimed more at a municipal system than anything else.

I couldn't find it anywhere else in NFPA 72. There is this from NFPA 70 760.10:

"Fire alarm circuits shall be identified at terminal and junction locations in a manner that will prevent unintentional interference with the signaling circuit during testing and servicing."

Note that it doesn't specify the manner of identification. A tag inside the JB might be sufficient.

iwire

Staff member
760.10:

"Fire alarm circuits shall be identified at terminal and junction locations in a manner that will prevent unintentional interference with the signaling circuit during testing and servicing."

That is what I was thinking of.

Note that it doesn't specify the manner of identification. A tag inside the JB might be sufficient.

It could be but IMPO it would be entirely within the AHJs authority to say no it is not sufficient.

gadfly56

Occupation
It could be but IMPO it would be entirely within the AHJs authority to say no it is not sufficient.

At this point I'm probablly not interested in running to the Construction Board of Appeals.

Hmmm, I suppose this is where I turn on the Irish charm for the AHJ:

"Say, you know these pre-painted covers are all you really need, right?" :grin::grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.