Tie wire, EMT, & Steel Truss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can EMT be "secured" by being placed in the "V" of an engineered steel truss and tied down with steel tie wire? I think I know better than to suggest such a thing but I'm bidding against someone who suggested this and the difference in cost, compared to a trapeze, is significant. But I'd rather ask the question and consult my peers! Many thanks!

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Can EMT be "secured" by being placed in the "V" of an engineered steel truss and tied down with steel tie wire? I think I know better than to suggest such a thing but I'm bidding against someone who suggested this and the difference in cost, compared to a trapeze, is significant. But I'd rather ask the question and consult my peers! Many thanks!
Actually, if you run in the "V" of the truss, you only need to secure it within 3' of each conduit termination point. 358.30(B)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Does anyone know how 300.11(A) applies to this type of installation? Is using gravity to hold the raceway the same as securely fastened in place.

300.11 Securing and Supporting.
(A) Secured in Place. Raceways, cable assemblies, boxes, cabinets, and fittings shall be securely fastened in place. Support wires that do not provide secure support shall not be permitted as the sole support. Support wires and associated fittings that provide secure support and that are installed in addition to the ceiling grid support wires shall be permitted as the sole support. Where independent support wires are used, they shall be secured at both ends. Cables and raceways shall not be supported by ceiling grids.

iwire

Staff member
Does anyone know how 300.11(A) applies to this type of installation? Is using gravity to hold the raceway the same as securely fastened in place.

You may be correct but please do not tell anyone in our are or I have a whole lot of zip ties to install. :grin:

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Bob,

Bet it is a local AHJ thing. In Alaska, along the coast, they are earthquake support crazy (Your stuff would remain while the rest ofthe building has long since shook apart), in mainland America probably have a more realistic approach. So thinking it would be a "common sense" approach -which cannot be put to print in less than five or ten page:D

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Rob,
You bring up a good point. It is my opinion that a specific rule always takes precedence over general rule. The rule in Article 300 is a a general rule and the rules in the xxx.30 sections of the raceway and cable articles are specific rules. Also the specific rules also require that the raceway be supported and secured at each termination point.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Rob,
You bring up a good point. It is my opinion that a specific rule always takes precedence over general rule. The rule in Article 300 is a a general rule and the rules in the xxx.30 sections of the raceway and cable articles are specific rules. Also the specific rules also require that the raceway be supported and secured at each termination point.

You might be right, but I don't know of any wording that actually spells it out that neatly. Right or wrong I could see an inspector saying 300.11(A) must be complied with. IMO 300.11(A) really serves no clarifying purpose. In fact, as in this case, it does the exact opposite since it contradicts the specific rules you've mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.