House Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

jca0108

A service is allowed a max of six disconnects. I've been looking for anything on house panels in the code, no luck. Closest I found is 210.25, 230.71, 230.40 exceptions. So, if I have a 6 unit apartment building, and i need a house panel for a couple lights, what do i do ?

Last edited:

shepelec

You have six disconnects now and you want to add an owners meter, correct? That would give you seven disconnects.

That would exceed the six diconnect rule, you will need to add a main switch for the whole service. This way there would only be one operation to disconnect the building.

jca0108

You have six disconnects now and you want to add an owners meter, correct? That would give you seven disconnects.

That would exceed the six diconnect rule, you will need to add a main switch for the whole service. This way there would only be one operation to disconnect the building.

so you mean like an mdp

shepelec

No

A main switch that disconnect the power to all of the units.

Depending on the load you might need a 400A switch before any metering to shut off the whole building with one operation of the hand.

jca0108

No

A main switch that disconnect the power to all of the units.

Depending on the load you might need a 400A switch before any metering to shut off the whole building with one operation of the hand.

so if i have an mdp with main disconnect handle, my 6 breakers for the units, and another breaker in the same enclosure for the house panel, then im ok ?

jca0108

so if that is done, with the mdp with the main disconnect, can i say that there is only one disconnect on this service?

Last edited:

jca0108

230.40 Exception(4) allows you to supply your house panel. i missed it , read rite over it. now if i can only clear up the question above, i'll be in good shape.

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
230.40 does not address the number of disconnects, only the number of sets of service entrance conductors. You need to look at 230.71.

Jljohnson

If you use an MDP with a main breaker, how will you meter each service?
I dont think the POCO will like that set up.:cool:

Happens all the time, install a main switch section and as many gangable metering/sub breakers sections as required to feed the building. I'm partial to the Square D EZ-M series myself.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
230.40 Exception 4 allows a second set of service entrance conductors, then 230.71 allows 6 disconnects for each set of service conductors so, IMHO, if you can run separate set of service conductors to your service drop or lateral, you can feed the house panel with that set.
Check with your AHJ of course

jca0108

230.40 Exception 4 allows a second set of service entrance conductors, then 230.71 allows 6 disconnects for each set of service conductors so, IMHO, if you can run separate set of service conductors to your service drop or lateral, you can feed the house panel with that set.

thats what i was thinking , because as i previously posted about a mdp using one service enterance conductor set, then having 6 disconnects for the units and an additional one for the house panel, thats 7.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
All that allows is another set of service conductors from the meter (or prior to the meter) to feed the house panel disconnect. This doesn't let you violate the 6 disconnet rule. And the disconnect for this house panel needs to be grouped with the other disconnects. If you only had 5 others, you'd be fine. You can put a main front front of those other 6 and then put in a separate disconnect for the house panel (now you'd have two disconnects). But you can't have more than 6.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Gus,
I agree, but most code enforcement officials apply the last part of 230.71 to this application.
...There shall be not more than six sets of disconnects per service grouped in any one location.
There is still only one service with multiple sets of service entrance conductors.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
230.71 Maximum Number of Disconnects.
(A) General. The service disconnecting means for each service permitted by 230.2, or for each set of service-entrance conductors permitted by 230.40, Exception No. 1, 3, 4, or 5, shall consist of not more than six switches or sets of circuit breakers, or a combination of not more than six switches and sets of circuit breakers, mounted in a single enclosure, in a group of separate enclosures, or in or on a switchboard. There shall be not more than six sets of disconnects per service grouped in any one location.
(emphasis added)

Take a look at Exhibit 230.4 in the handbook.

Status
Not open for further replies.