New CA energy efficiancy standards

Status
Not open for further replies.

e57

Trying to get a grip on the new California Title 24 Non-resi Energy compliance.... I feel as though I'm stuffing a hot needle in my eye...

Was there any editing on this stuff or too much? One could get so lost in the exceptions that they could find the change in the sofa but miss whatever this stuff is supposed to mean...

EXAMPLE:
B. For all skylit daylight areas:
i. The skylit daylight area shall be shown on the plans.
ii. All of the general lighting in the skylit area shall be controlled independently by an automatic
daylighting control device that meets the applicable requirements of Section 119.
iii. The automatic daylighting control shall be installed in accordance with Section 131(c)2D.

EXCEPTION 1 to Section 131(c)2B
: Where the total skylit daylight area in any enclosed space is less than
or equal to 2,500 square feet.

EXCEPTION 2 to Section 131(c)2B

: Skylit daylight areas where existing adjacent structures obstruct direct

beam sunlight for at least 6 hours per day during the equinox as calculated using computer or graphical

methods.
EXCEPTION 3 to Section 131(c)2B

: When the skylight effective aperture is greater than 4.0 percent, and

all general lighting in the skylit area is controlled by a multi-level astronomical time switch that meets the

requirements of Section 119(h) and that has an override switch that meets the requirements of Section
131(d)2.
EXCEPTION 4 to Section 131(c)2B

: Skylit daylight areas where the effective aperture is less than 0.006.

The effective aperture for skylit daylight areas is specified in Section 146(a)2E.

C. The primary sidelit area(s) shall be shown on the plans, and the general lighting in the primary sidelit areas shall
be controlled independently by an automatic daylighting control device that meets the applicable requirements of
Section 119 and is installed in accordance with Section 131(c) 2D.

EXCEPTION 1 to Section 131(c) 2C

: Where the total primary sidelit daylight area in any enclosed space

has an area less than or equal to 2,500 square feet.

EXCEPTION 2 to Section 131(c) 2C

: Primary sidelit daylight areas where the effective aperture is less

than 0.1. The effective aperture for primary sidelit daylight areas is specified in Section 146(a)2E.

EXCEPTION 3 to Section 131(c) 2C

: Primary sidelit daylight areas where existing adjacent structures are

twice as tall as their distance away from the windows.

EXCEPTION 4 to Section 131(c) 2C

: Parking garages.

D. Automatic Daylighting Control Device Installation and Operation. Automatic daylighting control devices shall

be installed and configured to operate according to all of the following requirements:
i. Automatic daylighting control devices shall have photosensors that are located so that they are not
readily accessible in accordance with the designer’s or manufacturer’s instructions.
ii. The location where calibration adjustments are made to the automatic daylighting control device shall be
readily accessible to authorized personnel, or located within 2 feet of a ceiling access panel that is no
higher than 11 feet above floor level.
iii. Automatic daylighting controls shall be multi-level, including continuous dimming, and have at least
one control step that is between 50 percent to 70 percent of rated power of the controlled lighting.
EXCEPTION 1 to Section 131(c) 2Diii:
Controlled lighting having a lighting power density less than 0.3 W/ft

EXCEPTION 2 to Section 131(c)2Diii:

When skylights are replaced or added to on an existing

building with an existing general lighting system.

iv Under all daylight conditions in all areas served by the controlled lighting, the combined illuminance
from the controlled lighting and daylight is not less than the illuminance from controlled lighting when
no daylight is available.
v When all areas served by the controlled lighting are receiving daylight illuminance levels greater than
150 percent of the illuminance from controlled lighting when no daylight is available, the controlled
lighting power consumption shall be no greater than 35 percent of the rated power of the controlled

lighting.

Mandatory except for the exceptions.....:mad:

Last edited:

Karl H

Have you seen any new forms? Example, (LTG-1-C,LTG-MM,etc.)
All of my compliance forms in CAD are still 2005 non-residential.

I've done a few projects with the "Day-Lighting" controls. Such as
separate manual switching of lights near windows when the day lit area
is greater than 250ft^.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Well it took the NEC this long to start trimming down the exceptions, so I wouldn't get to excited about CA doing it anytime soon.

I wouldn't get to worked up about the skylights, usually they are installed in nonconditioned areas which aren't subject to T-24.

Karl H

:)
Well it took the NEC this long to start trimming down the exceptions, so I wouldn't get to excited about CA doing it anytime soon.

I wouldn't get to worked up about the skylights, usually they are installed in nonconditioned areas which aren't subject to T-24.

The thing is, a lot of older buildings here in SD incorporate a lot of sky lights
in the original design. Since, there aren't a lot of new buildings going up,
most projects are "alterations" of existing buildings. Which include skylights
that are now in conditioned spaces.

To be honest, I think most people that don't like T-24 are those that
don't understand it, and get caught off guard during plan check
or inspection. Don't get me wrong, it is definitely frustrating.
Try placing 3-lamp luminaries in a precision area that T-24 limits to
1.3 watts a sq/ft and 0.6 in corridors,restrooms,stairs, and support areas.
But, allows 1.2 for offices under 250 sq/ft.:)

e57

IMO - and my same opinion was such of lighting before - but sky light manufacturers have likewise infiltrated the code making panel to require thier products by law. And as such - new construction buildings will 'require' them. And as you can see - they inserted benefit to entice more of them... Although a full pot of coffee is required to make sense of it. :D

Right now I'm still trying to figure out what makes a basic and compliant office.

e57

:)
To be honest, I think most people that don't like T-24 are those that
don't understand it, and get caught off guard during plan check
or inspection. Don't get me wrong, it is definitely frustrating.
The previous code while specific was much easier to understand - and therefore it could be explained to clients in a conversation... Now you would need to give them a very serioulsly boring conversation with charts and graphs - all the while taking what they wanted as lighting and rolling into a ball - then setting it on fire along with their check book.

brian john

And California is trying to figure out why their tax base (successful businesses) are leaving the state for greener pastures, less taxes, less regulation.

stevenj76

So are you going to whine about it? Or figure out the cheapest way to do it and get alot more business from it??

That solar daylight method sounds like you need one of those sundisk jobbies the solar installers are using to plot the obstructions from trees and poles on the arrays.

Status
Not open for further replies.