Problems with local inspector

Status
Not open for further replies.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
I guess this goes for a suggestion that would save you money as well.:roll:

I'm not angry, I just dont understand the thought process. It seems more of an "I don't have too and you can't make me" attitude. There are quite a few things that are not in the code book that make alot of sense and make for a better job, such as installing a ground wire in EMT. Personally if you want install to minimum standards thats up to you. I won't do it and I will encourage other guys not to do it. This has nothing to do with being an inspector, most of the contractors I deal with know me personally and are not doing this because I say so, they do it because it makes sense. If you bid a job so tight you can't afford a couple of bags of reds and the 1/4 second it takes to install them then you are already screwed.

I see nothing wrong suggesting an alternate was of doing things as long as it is done in the correct manner after all the book is a minimum standard.

I guess I will agree to disagree.:)
If you inspect my job and make suggestions I'd be overjoyed, I'm always looking for ways to improve quality and thus be able to charge more.

If you fail my job in even though it meets code, a whole different story.

Mgraw

Occupation
Electrician
So basically they can enforce any little thing they want with no repercussions at a real cost to us and a real profit to them(reinspection fee)

This is just one example of what has been going on.

What can we do to put an end to this without making it hard to deal with these morons.

Since 2007 we have the Louisiana State Unified Construction Code Council. All construction codes in the state are adopted by them and all jurisdictions must follow the state code without local amendments. Any jurisdictions that try to enforce something that is not part of the state code can and should be reported to the LSUCCC. All inspectors must now be certified by ICC. Inspectors can lose their certification to be inspectors by the LSUCCC.

John120/240

Inspectors ?

Inspectors ?

From what I've read, it sounds like some inspectors are employed by a
private frim? Do they then report to the city/county there findings?
In the Kansas City area all inspectors are employed by the city or county.

Mgraw

Occupation
Electrician
Here in Louisiana we had alot of inspectors brought in from other States after Katrina. They all answer to the local jurisdiction they work in.

hunt4679

I dont think it was ever printed on these before I have been using them for a good ten years and never seen that until a few months ago. Even though I have always used anti shorts

dnewman

problems with inspectors

problems with inspectors

not everything is covered by the N.E.C!
Check out the Guide Information for Electrical Equipment (White Book). This is how products are approved by U.L.
Also check out the products manufacture installation instructions.
As for as requirements in design professional specs; a good inspector will require E.C.s to install as per approved engineered designs.
Moron? The electrical inspector may know more than you think. Most E.I's go to several code seminars everyyear and a lot of them have been E.C's or at least electricains before. Some are electrical engineers. More E.I's are on code making panels than you would think.
Remember this, E.I's are people just like you, they make mistakes, and if you don't agree with them at least ask them to show you where they find their information.
Treat people with the same respect that you want and you'll go farther!

walkerj

not everything is covered by the N.E.C!
Check out the Guide Information for Electrical Equipment (White Book). This is how products are approved by U.L.
Also check out the products manufacture installation instructions.
As for as requirements in design professional specs; a good inspector will require E.C.s to install as per approved engineered designs.
Moron? The electrical inspector may know more than you think. Most E.I's go to several code seminars everyyear and a lot of them have been E.C's or at least electricains before. Some are electrical engineers. More E.I's are on code making panels than you would think.
Remember this, E.I's are people just like you, they make mistakes, and if you don't agree with them at least ask them to show you where they find their information.
Treat people with the same respect that you want and you'll go farther!

I can assure you I was respectful to this inspector.
He was the one with the 'know-it-all' mentality.
And for the record, this one was never a contractor or electrician;)

CarlAshcraft

Last time I disagreed with an inspector and requested a code reference for showing me where I was wrong the inspector stated this code number...

90.4 Enforcement. ... The authority having jurisdiction for enforcement of the Code has the responsibility for making interpretations of the rules, for deciding on the approval of equipment and materials, and granting the special permission contemplated in a number of the rules.

In the end of the day, unfortunately, the inspector has final authority.

One-eyed Jack

Last time I disagreed with an inspector and requested a code reference for showing me where I was wrong the inspector stated this code number...

90.4 Enforcement. ... The authority having jurisdiction for enforcement of the Code has the responsibility for making interpretations of the rules, for deciding on the approval of equipment and materials, and granting the special permission contemplated in a number of the rules.

In the end of the day, unfortunately, the inspector has final authority.

That inspector is full of it. That is not a code reference for any violation. If I call you on a code violation I can and will cite you a particular code section that I feel you are in violation of. It is in fact my job to make the interpretation and you are not required to agree with it. 90.4 does not give an inspector blanket authority to make up code requirements . There must be a reference to interpret. Just because he says it is so does not make it so. I do this for a living and it pisses me off to hear of inspectors with that attitude. If you question an interpretation and receive retaliation on that or subsequent jobs for asking for a code ref. you do have recourse. Inspectors are subject to rules and they have bosses also.

Last edited:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
That inspector is full of it. That is not a code reference for any violation. If I call you on a code violation I can and will cite you a particular code section that I feel you are in violation of. It is in fact my job to make the interpretation and you are not required to agree with it. 90.4 does not give an inspector blanket authority to make up code requirements . There must be a reference to interpret. Just because he says it is so does not make it so. I do this for a living and it pisses me off to hear of inspectors with that attitude. If you question an interpretation and receive retaliation on that or subsequent jobs for asking for a code ref. you do have recourse. Inspectors are subject to rules and they have bosses also.

Thank you Jack.
icon14.gif

Roger

macmikeman

The trouble with 90.4 is in the eyes of many inspectors 90.4 also gives them the ability to interpret 90.4 any which way they care to, as well as the other articles in the code. So, while I happen to agree with One eyed jack and roger on this, what I think has no bearing on what the local inspectors are able to assume when yielding 90.4 in their arsenal.

satcom

The trouble with 90.4 is in the eyes of many inspectors 90.4 also gives them the ability to interpret 90.4 any which way they care to, as well as the other articles in the code. So, while I happen to agree with One eyed jack and roger on this, what I think has no bearing on what the local inspectors are able to assume when yielding 90.4 in their arsenal.

A good link to the issue, for many years my men would use the anti shorts, and I would tell them it was not needed, but it made them feel better, and might be it made the inspector feel better, but they are not needed.
http://www.nema.org/stds/eng-bulletins/upload/Bulletin-90.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.