Fans in shower stalls

Status
Not open for further replies.

transman2

I am inspecting a Job which has large bathrooms and it has a indoor wall exhaust fan pluged into a receptacle. They dont appear to be a weatherproof fan and you can actually see the windings of the motor. The fans are installed in the stalls of the showers and toilets, sometimes as close as a foot away. The toilets have a spayer in there as well. I know it is in the code that a receptacle cannot be installed above a shower or tub but is there anything else that you would consider this installation wrong by code. It seems very dangerous. It seems to me these bathrooms would be considered a wet damp location also. Any help would be appreciated.

transman2

I am inspecting a Job which has large bathrooms and it has a indoor wall exhaust fan pluged into a receptacle. They dont appear to be a weatherproof fan and you can actually see the windings of the motor. The fans are installed in the stalls of the showers and toilets, sometimes as close as a foot away. The toilets have a spayer in there as well. I know it is in the code that a receptacle cannot be installed above a shower or tub but is there anything else that you would consider this installation wrong by code. It seems very dangerous. It seems to me these bathrooms would be considered a wet damp location also. Any help would be appreciated.
The receptacles are not GFCI nor weatherproof either. The contractor believes if he makes the receptacles GFCI that this application is fine. What do you think.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I need a better picture of what you have. If these fans are suitable for damp location and located above the water spray they may be allowed. Every bath fan I have seen was legal if installed with a GFCI protection.

So where are the recep.? Are they built into the housing or just over the stall?

transman2

I need a better picture of what you have. If these fans are suitable for damp location and located above the water spray they may be allowed. Every bath fan I have seen was legal if installed with a GFCI protection.

So where are the recep.? Are they built into the housing or just over the stall?

The Receptacles are located above shower next to fan.

raider1

Staff member
All 120 volt 15 and 20 amp receptacles installed in a bathroom are required to be GFCI protected. (See 210.8(A)(1) for residential and 210.8(B)(1) for commercial).

Also receptacles are prohibited from being installed within or directly above a shower stall. (See 406.8(C))

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.