AFCI Headache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerseydaze

CH 20 amp AFCI dedicated circuit treadmill .Trips every time standard breaker works fine. Am close to cutting cord and hardwiring.Yes I know voids warranty.Any suggestions?

cadpoint

I can feel your pain and future pain, maybe in another cycle of a code we will be allowed to install (one) general service plug in the house not AFCI but only GFCI protected to be used for small motors (vacuums) and chargers that do arc! I know many a time I forget to turn off a device and push it in "on", or
as like any other home owner yank on a plug 10' from point of connection. I try not to, but you know...

I can only assume it's the tread mill also... seems you need to measure the inrush that being seen on the circuit.

marti smith

The last "problem" I found with an afci was the terminals on the recep for that circuit weren't torqued enough. Let us know what you find.

satcom

I are you sure there are no bootleg connections in the house, AFCI's will trip if there is a bootleg connection anywhere in the wiring.

ELA

Occupation
Electrical Test Engineer
CH 20 amp AFCI dedicated circuit treadmill .Trips every time standard breaker works fine. Am close to cutting cord and hardwiring.Yes I know voids warranty.Any suggestions?

Please add details such as:
Does it trip immediately upon application of power, when tread mill is on low, on high speed, under load or unloaded etc.

This will help to determine if tripping due to GFP or suspected arc recognition.

What manufacturer of AFCI are you using?

growler

Nope I tried a rigged extension cord directly to the treadmill same results.

Run some other heavy motor on the circuit. Heavy drill motor and see if that trips it. There may just be a bad treadmill motor.

Had a homeowner with a microwave that tripped GFCI receptacles and he didn't want to believe it . Pluged in his refrigerater into that receptacle for about a week and it didn't trip it. I told him to by a new microwave.

I would contact the manufacturer of the treadmill and see if this has been a problem for them. The motor may be arcing at the brushes.

Jerseydaze

Run some other heavy motor on the circuit. Heavy drill motor and see if that trips it. There may just be a bad treadmill motor.

Had a homeowner with a microwave that tripped GFCI receptacles and he didn't want to believe it . Pluged in his refrigerater into that receptacle for about a week and it didn't trip it. I told him to by a new microwave.

I would contact the manufacturer of the treadmill and see if this has been a problem for them. The motor may be arcing at the brushes.

Yeah I tryed my drill I tryed an other Afci breaker Its cutler hammer CH . Tred mill starts up and as speed goes up it trips id say 30 seconds.

ty

Yeah I tryed my drill I tryed an other Afci breaker Its cutler hammer CH . Tred mill starts up and as speed goes up it trips id say 30 seconds.

We are CH installer.
Although possibl, i doubt highly that it is the AFCI breaker. Especially if you tried a different AFCI breaker and it still did it.

I sense leakage current in the treadmill.

JohnJ0906

What does the manufacturers instructions say? I seem to recall some of them say not to use on a GFCI protected circuit. Perhaps there could be a problem with AFCIs as well.

ELA

Occupation
Electrical Test Engineer
If I understand your reponses the drill does not trip the AFCI,
and another AFCI of the same (CH) brand will trip on the treadmill... Is that correct?

Could be that the AFCI thinks it is a series arc due to the brushes arcing and/or RF from the drive.
I like how Siemens AFCI's have diagnosis LEDs. You could try putting in a regular breaker and temporarily follow it by a Siemens breaker just for testing.

Maybe the Siemens will hold implying that the CH AFCI is at fault.
If the Siemens trips the LEDs can tell you if it is leakage or an arc detection.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
We are CH installer.
Although possibl, i doubt highly that it is the AFCI breaker. Especially if you tried a different AFCI breaker and it still did it.

I sense leakage current in the treadmill.
Or it could just be the fact that AFCIs are not really ready to be used as required by the code as there are some items of electrical equipment with no leakage current and no arcing faults that cause AFCIs to trip.

The easiest way to check to see if leakage is causing the AFCI to trip is to connect it it a GFCI. If is doesn't trip the GFCI it is not a leakage current problem.

Buck Parrish

I ran a dedicated circuit for the customers new tread mill. The store told them that,s what it needed because it kept tripping the breaker.

Then it still tripped the regular breaker on the dedicated 20 amp circuit.
Turns out the store was Play It Again Sports and it was only new to them. Not a new item. The motor was shot.

Jerseydaze

Or it could just be the fact that AFCIs are not really ready to be used as required by the code as there are some items of electrical equipment with no leakage current and no arcing faults that cause AFCIs to trip.

The easiest way to check to see if leakage is causing the AFCI to trip is to connect it it a GFCI. If is doesn't trip the GFCI it is not a leakage current problem.

Circuit is gfi protected with a dead front gfi doesnt trip

As has been reported on this website numerous times, vacuum cleaners commonly trip AFCI's.

My personal, gut feeling (fallible, I readily admit), is that AFCI's were forced on the electrical industry by manufacturers anxious to sell new products, without the benefit of real world testing.

Have you heard of the "Toyota" debacle? :mad:

nrp3

I'd like to say I saw somewhere in my work there was a treadmill that said somewhere on it not to connect to GFI receptacles. Have an owners manual? If I am correct AFCIs also have a ground fault function just a higher threshold?

maf

Same problem with a Landice treadmill and a Cutler Hammer CH120CAF (combination arc fault). Within 60 seconds of the treadmill starting the breaker will trip. A standard CH120 breaker and treadmill connected through a GFCI outlet will not trip the breaker or GFCI.

When the treadmill is plugged into a surge suppressor (Tripp Lite ISOBAR4ULTRA) the combination AFCI will no longer trip.

YMMV. It's unclear what the Tripp Lite is preventing the AFCI from seeing, or just how much AFCI functionality is being negated by using a device like this which is built to suppress noise. It may also be filtering the waveforms the (C)AFCI uses to detect real arcing.

--
mark

Status
Not open for further replies.