fein tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie Bob

I borrowed one of this from a friend, just to give it a shot, to cut some old tong and groove lathing (no plaster) at the house i'm working at now.

I tell you i didn't believe it would be woth a dime at first, but i was wrong.It was great for that aplication, cleaner and just as fast as the rotozip. only down side, i don't know if they have an attachment to cut round holes, like for ceiling boxes.

http://www.amazon.com/Fein-MultiMaster-FMM-250Q-Top/dp/B000U8S3QA

Occupation
Inspector
I borrowed one of this from a friend, just to give it a shot, to cut some old tong and groove lathing (no plaster) at the house i'm working at now.

I tell you i didn't believe it would be woth a dime at first, but i was wrong.It was great for that aplication, cleaner and just as fast as the rotozip. only down side, i don't know if they have an attachment to cut round holes, like for ceiling boxes.

http://www.amazon.com/Fein-MultiMaster-FMM-250Q-Top/dp/B000U8S3QA

I would not give up my MultiMaster for anything. As for the ceiling box I use hole saws.

mcclary's electrical

What kind of applications you find it to be exceptional at?
I'm trying to justify the money. I have all kinds of cutting tools you know, i wonder if it's worth adding another one.

It makes the thinnest, finest cut of any tool I have. It will plunge cut right into the side of a cabinet for receptacle. The first house I used it on was a rewire. Knee wall along the entire length of the house on both sides. I went behind the knee wall and cut my holes for boxes right agaiinst the studs. Saving me the time of finding each stud with a stud finder. Any other tool would have blown out the sheetrock . It paid for itself on that job. The tile bit works perfect on plaster, then switch to the blade and cut the lathe. I use it very often. I don't have the Fein brand, I have the Bosch for 199. I opened up a sheetrock wall with mine yesterday

I've done a lot of finish carpentry work and cabinet installation and the Fein is about the most precise cutting tool I've ever used. Pricey but worth the $$$. Tons of applications!

mivey

The Fein Multi-master is worth every penny. I only regret I did not get one sooner. The patent expired and there are cheaper knock-offs out there but the Fein is still the standard.

I read a review a while back covering the patent expiration and the knock-offs that were out. The Fein was top of the list for quality. As can be expected, it was also the most expensive.

Pay for a good one as you will use it more than you might think.

ty

I have no idea why, but around here I've been hearing this referenced as a 'Chicken Tool'.

Has anybody else heard this, or has some local yokel made this up?

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The Fein Multi-master is worth every penny. I only regret I did not get one sooner. The patent expired and there are cheaper knock-offs out there but the Fein is still the standard.

I read a review a while back covering the patent expiration and the knock-offs that were out. The Fein was top of the list for quality. As can be expected, it was also the most expensive.

Pay for a good one as you will use it more than you might think.
I can't say it any better than this. The Fein is, by far, the best tool of its type. I've tried a friend's Rockwell brand and it was horrible. The blade kept coming loose. A carpenter I worked with recently had the Bosch battery operated model and his only complaint was that the batteries didn't last long. Dremel makes one and based on the fact that it's Dremel I would imagine that it is a quality product but I have no first hand info on its performance.

I would look into buying replacement blades on Ebay. I recently purchased a package of 15 assorted blades for about $80.00 if I remember correctly.

Just a bit of trivia and a side bar to this thread, I was told by a police officer friend of mine that these Fein Multimasters are used in autopsies. It's a lot easier cutting a skull open as opposed to using a side grinder. No dust shooting out the back. Makes sense.;)

fondini

I have the dremel model,works great on finish work as leaves almost no dust.When the time to replace it comes I'll get the fein,my blade comes loose to much.

kbsparky

I have the Dremel, but have never had any problems with the blade loosening up during use.

I call it my "buzz cutter" --- sort of like a glorified electric hair clippers :D

Less than $100 at Big Blue.

danickstr

i know lots of guys like the Fein, but where is the application? I use a frog sticker for drywall cut-ins, a jigsaw if there is plywood behind the drywall or siding, and a hole saw for round cut-ins. I see the carpenters use them a lot for various things, but they burn the wood and it stinks. LOL. Not that that matters, but they seem slow for lots of things. I want to see the light, but just can't find an application.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
i know lots of guys like the Fein, but where is the application? I use a frog sticker for drywall cut-ins, a jigsaw if there is plywood behind the drywall or siding, and a hole saw for round cut-ins. I see the carpenters use them a lot for various things, but they burn the wood and it stinks. LOL. Not that that matters, but they seem slow for lots of things. I want to see the light, but just can't find an application.
Some applications (off the top of my head) 1) cutting in a recessed receptacle box inside a small cabinet for a built-in microwave over a range; 2) cutting in a receptacle in a plaster wall with wood lath behind (using a frog sticker or jig saw for that could proove to be a messy end result); 3) using the metal blade to cut off an old and rusted water pipe clamp on a water main makes life easy. Just to name a few ;)

Occupation
Inspector
Some applications (off the top of my head) 1) cutting in a recessed receptacle box inside a small cabinet for a built-in microwave over a range; 2) cutting in a receptacle in a plaster wall with wood lath behind (using a frog sticker or jig saw for that could proove to be a messy end result); 3) using the metal blade to cut off an old and rusted water pipe clamp on a water main makes life easy. Just to name a few ;)

Let me add 4) notching the baseboard or 1/4 round for conduit or WireMold 5) I've also used it to cut PVC connectors just past the locknut inside a box to allow more room for wires.

Status
Not open for further replies.