bypassing built in photo-eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

lat1

customer has an exterior flourescent flood with a built in photo-cell that they want to disable so it is only switch operated. i looked inside and the line side H & N terminate on a circuit board. the photo cell has two black wires that terminate on the circuit board also. i couldn't see where the load side conductors go to the lampholder.
can i bypass the photo-cell by clipping it's two leads and splicing them together?

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
customer has an exterior flourescent flood with a built in photo-cell that they want to disable so it is only switch operated. i looked inside and the line side H & N terminate on a circuit board. the photo cell has two black wires that terminate on the circuit board also. i couldn't see where the load side conductors go to the lampholder.
can i bypass the photo-cell by clipping it's two leads and splicing them together?

I would not modify the unit.

Can you cover or spray paint over the photo-cell?

mcclary's electrical

I also agree, I don't think it's a big deal.

To answer the OP's question, yes. Cut the two black wires to the photocell and wirenut them together.

I figured I'd be the tie breaker and agree with clipping the two black wires going to the photocell and wire nut them together.

topgone

Suggest to leave some length of those black wires so it won't be hard to put them back when the customer changes his/her mind. You know. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.