Is a main breaker required

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone!
I'm bidding feeders/ panel relocation for a sandwich shop in a small tenant space of a large, outdoor retail center.
The existing panels are MLO. The (2) 2" feeders conduits will be re-routed to another wall close by and new panels will go in. (2-200A panels on separate meters in same space to get the 400A they want).
The Meter-Pak service is 100' away linearly but about a 500' walk around building.
I'm thinking that even though the service is not behind locked door, I will be required to install MB panels.
Please advise. Thanks!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am assuming the tenants have access to the main breaker, and will have assecciblity to the MLO panels. I think a MBreaker panel would be a nicer install however I don;t believe it is required,

They do have access just not easy access. You are right- it would definitely be a better product but will the several other guys that I saw at pre-bid include?

220wire

I'd go with MLO and purchase a panel that a MB can be added to. Then CYA on your proposal. I hate when bids come back and they are not apples to apples. Could always call the AHJ. And if it is required let the owner know or leave it for the competition eat it after the fact

Already doing that very thing. Sent RFQ to Graybar for main lug convertible and including main as alternate.
Good advice! Thank you and thanks for you quick reply!

LawnGuyLandSparky

Just remember that even if you did install a MB panel, there's no guarantee the main in the easily accessable tenant space would be the one to trip...

Status
Not open for further replies.