ideal brand 'wagos'

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireguru

Any experience with the Ideal brand wagos? I did a walkthrough of a remodel where the EC is using them, theres a couple MWBCs with 6 neutrals tied together with them, theyre using them for an electric steam generator for a shower, and other circuits with high amp intermittent loads. I see potential for future problems. Any thoughts?

quogueelectric

Any experience with the Ideal brand wagos? I did a walkthrough of a remodel where the EC is using them, theres a couple MWBCs with 6 neutrals tied together with them, theyre using them for an electric steam generator for a shower, and other circuits with high amp intermittent loads. I see potential for future problems. Any thoughts?

I have never seen one fail yet. I am sure if one did it would be all over this site.

quogueelectric

I looked closely at one, and the contact area between the conductor and the contact did not seem very big.

I know I am chomping at the bit to trash these things but I cannot find any instance of where one failed or caused a problem so I need to readjust my thinking a little bit as I have been watching them closely for a few years now.

I personally dont like to use them unless I have to. I would like to see the performance on a heavy AC load over a few years.

HOWEVER objectively I havent ever seen anything but good things about them and I am trying to sell them to the gypsies.

I have no problem using them and am kind of shocked at how well they have performed.

I used these a few years back when I roped tract homes in southern California. There fast and handy, but they were tract homes, so fast is the key when doing piece work. I have not used them since then. Kind of seems to me like using the stab connections on the back of a receptacle, which I consider a no-no. They my save a few minutes, but I question reliability. Just my two peso's!

i taught sparky jr. to tighten wire nuts enuf to twist the wires a little.
he twisted a wage once & it arced for a while & melted the wago

zappy

I've been on a few service calls where these were the problem. I say keep using them. Job security!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I had one failure that was used on a mudular unit to tie the circuit together eletcricallly. Every thing will fail eventually.

Howard Burger

problem with wago

problem with wago

The only problem with them in my experience is if you don't strip the wire (solid) long enough to make a secure connection. I found one winking at me inside a box once - was arcing when the wire was moved. Perhaps AFCIs will make up for sloppy installation, but they (push in wirenuts) appear to be good products. However, as (I think it was 480Sparky) said in another post, how they will be in 30 years is anybody's guess.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I have been using them on an R&D basis.

I have been putting them in areas that can easily be inspected in places that I frequent. So far, all the ones I installed have remained pristine.

They are not fool proof. I check every wire and there is a fairly high percentage of times when I have to re-insert one. They look great, don't wiggle, but a tug will pull them out. Sometimes I have to use a pair of needle nose pliers to get the wire in far enough. If either the wire or your hands are slippery it can be tough to push in hard enough for the wire to seat properly.

Once in correctly, they are very hard to pull out. They certainly won't come out by accident.

The plus side is a fairly big one. My collection has connectors with up to eight holes. Great for places where there may be an upgrade. Just plug and play. They also have places to poke probes into for testing. For me, that is a big plus. They are clear and if there is a problem, it can be seen just by visual inspection most of the time. They take up less space. There is no question as to how many conductors will fit, just count the holes. They ARE removable without clipping the conductor.

My question, one that I will never see answered, is how do they perform over time? I know that connections made with wire nuts last more than a life time, but will the same be true with Wago style connectors?

Just for grins someday, I will do some testing and purposely abuse the connectors and compare them to a wire nut. I will post the results here.

I hope they are safe and reliable and come into general use. As a troubleshooter, having access to conductors for testing is great, so is the ability to see through the connector to the wire.

I wonder if there is anyone that has seen a Wago style connector that was properly installed fail?

Why is it that we just assume the wire nut is the perfect connector and if a wire nut connection fails it must have been done incorrectly?

I don't believe the above is true one bit as I have seen many wire nut failures. They don't work forever in every environment no matter how well they were made up.

zappy

I have been using them on an R&D basis.

I have been putting them in areas that can easily be inspected in places that I frequent. So far, all the ones I installed have remained pristine.

They are not fool proof. I check every wire and there is a fairly high percentage of times when I have to re-insert one. They look great, don't wiggle, but a tug will pull them out. Sometimes I have to use a pair of needle nose pliers to get the wire in far enough. If either the wire or your hands are slippery it can be tough to push in hard enough for the wire to seat properly.

Once in correctly, they are very hard to pull out. They certainly won't come out by accident.

The plus side is a fairly big one. My collection has connectors with up to eight holes. Great for places where there may be an upgrade. Just plug and play. They also have places to poke probes into for testing. For me, that is a big plus. They are clear and if there is a problem, it can be seen just by visual inspection most of the time. They take up less space. There is no question as to how many conductors will fit, just count the holes. They ARE removable without clipping the conductor.

My question, one that I will never see answered, is how do they perform over time? I know that connections made with wire nuts last more than a life time, but will the same be true with Wago style connectors?

Just for grins someday, I will do some testing and purposely abuse the connectors and compare them to a wire nut. I will post the results here.

I hope they are safe and reliable and come into general use. As a troubleshooter, having access to conductors for testing is great, so is the ability to see through the connector to the wire.

I wonder if there is anyone that has seen a Wago style connector that was properly installed fail?

Why is it that we just assume the wire nut is the perfect connector and if a wire nut connection fails it must have been done incorrectly?

I don't believe the above is true one bit as I have seen many wire nut failures. They don't work forever in every environment no matter how well they were made up.
You sold me. I might buy a bag and see.

raider1

Staff member
I have used the Ideal brand "wagos" for about 10 years now and have not had any problems with them.

Like any product if you don;t install them properly they can fail.

I have gone on many service calls where I found a wirenut that was not properly installed failed.

Chris

ceb58

I have and will continue to use them in certain circumstances. They have been a life saver when the rockers damage a wire in the box and there is just not enough room to get in to pig tail it with a wire nut. They make fast work for fluorescent lighting and can lights.

laketime

I have used them since they have been approved and love them. Only had one instance where one melted down, but it was at my mother in laws house so who knows how that happened :roll:

Minuteman

The only problems that I have had with 'em, has been on the ones that come with some recessed cans. I have had a few where the can didn't work and the small fixture wire had came loose from the Wago.

quogueelectric

As stated before they come in very handy when the wire is cut short and there is not a lot of wire to make up a wirenut. They have been a lifesaver for me in a few of these instances.

Status
Not open for further replies.