Virtual PC Vulnerability

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadpoint

Any one what use's Virtual PC, should read this press release from the company that chases programming
errors in Windows; the vulnerability exist in all of the following platforms:

Virtual PC 2007
Virtual PC 2007 SP1
Windows Virtual PC
Virtual Server 2005
Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1

Read Here

Hameedulla-Ekhlas

Any one what use's Virtual PC, should read this press release from the company that chases programming
errors in Windows; the vulnerability exist in all of the following platforms:

Virtual PC 2007
Virtual PC 2007 SP1
Windows Virtual PC
Virtual Server 2005
Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1

Read Here

Thanks for information. I have used many times Virtual PC 2007 in my computer due to some programs that could not run in Windows Vista. I had installed in windows Vista desktop windows XP. After installing, I felt something wrong with my computer perfomance. I thought, it might be due to Virus or something else.

Now, understood what is the problem.

Thanks for information.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I didn't realize VPC was still around. I used to use it to interface with Windows computers way back when I was a Mac (Performa 6400) user. Amazing product. I could even use right-click mouse functions.

cadpoint

Your welcome!

Thanks also to the moderators for letting it ride as well!

Hopefully some IT guys & gals were alerted as well.

I could only think of the people that do Virtual with their base computers! Thus creating a possible hole in the secured system. Dock your two computers and pull you internet wire seems about the only safe fix.
Or just don't move boat loads of information across when Virtual.

I was frankly drawn in by the Virtual part as well!
Believe it or not, I get a news letter on computer issues; I found the title to be interesting as well.

I also was drawn into thoughts of the old days when it was just better to boot a machine and run a DOS program in DOS than through a Windows filter, due to lack of memory, or even releasing of memory.

Or stop everything Boot and run “A single program”; Windows 3.11 seemed to cure that for its day in time. 3.11 Was the forerunner to NT.

dbuckley

Having now reviewed the reporting on the issue, there are some vulnerabilities when running under VPC that you would not have running on bare metal, but they are 'layer' vulnerabilities, and thus the chances of being exploited are, whilst not non-existant, are fairly small.

Most people are likely to have systems that have other more exploitable issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.