Loadbank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hameedulla-Ekhlas

Greeting all,

I have one question regarding to loadbank. I have usually been asked in projects to provide a loadbank for generator with 40% of the maximum load as well as 20% step.

I have not seen it in site or its operation method.

I know that this loadbank is connected through a Circuit breaker to Main Distribution panel board and I am also doing this.

My question is that

A loadbank is for light load period for the safety of generator. what about the medium load or peak load period since it is connected through breaker to main MDP.

Is it controlled manually or automatically ?

iwire

Staff member
There are many ways load banks are used with generators, some automatic some manual.

A typical application I see is the use of a load bank when exercising the generator each week, running large diesel engines without any load on them tends to fill the exhaust with raw unburnt fuel.

The load bank puts enough load on the engine to reach full operating temperature and burn the fuel more completely and heat the exhaust system up enough to burn off the rest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet_stacking

broadgage

When testing a generator with a load bank, it is usuall to load the generator to about 100% of either its continous, or short term standby, power rating.

In some cases it is considered desirable to also briefly test the generator at low load, such as 20% to prove that the voltage regulates correctly, and that any thermostatic cooling fans etc shut of at low load.

Also a standby generator is sometimes tested useing the actual building load that is to be supplied in case of blackout, this is clearly a more realistic test but can be unduly disruptive.
In such cases a load bank may be utilised IN ADDITION to the building load, in order to fully load the generator for testing.
A load bank with settings of 20% and 40% could be useful in such cases if the building load is about 60% or about 80% of the generator rating.

Hameedulla-Ekhlas

When testing a generator with a load bank, it is usuall to load the generator to about 100% of either its continous, or short term standby, power rating.

In some cases it is considered desirable to also briefly test the generator at low load, such as 20% to prove that the voltage regulates correctly, and that any thermostatic cooling fans etc shut of at low load.

Also a standby generator is sometimes tested useing the actual building load that is to be supplied in case of blackout, this is clearly a more realistic test but can be unduly disruptive.
In such cases a load bank may be utilised IN ADDITION to the building load, in order to fully load the generator for testing.
A load bank with settings of 20% and 40% could be useful in such cases if the building load is about 60% or about 80% of the generator rating.

We know that, When there is a high generation than connected load there is frequency problem too and generator excitation contraint. Isnt it possible to have a governer control system to sense as soon as load drops, it controls rotor speed control and governer set point instead of connecting load bank.

Hope to have some explaination regarding this too

broadgage

A good diesel generator should maintain close to the correct frequency and voltage even at virtualy zero load.
If the frequency rises appreciably at low load, then the engine governing system needs attention.

Prolonged operation at light/no load is unwise for the reasons given above, but it should not matter in the short term.

dbuckley

Pretty much any half decent genset can maintain voltage and frequency with a steady load, be it 1% or 80% of output; the challenge for is maintaining correct voltage and frequency when the load changes.

Reminds me of a ditty I read on here when a mobile genset was physically jumping around as the load changed, the load changing being from a concert lighting system, when the lighting op tapped the 'all on full' button on the beat...

iwire

Staff member
P
Reminds me of a ditty I read on here when a mobile genset was physically jumping around as the load changed, the load changing being from a concert lighting system, when the lighting op tapped the 'all on full' button on the beat...

Seen that first hand, I had a 400 KW trailer mounted unit supplying an 'old school' lighting rig (tons of 1000 watt cans) for The Scorpions and it was bouncing on the trailer springs with the beat of the lighting. But it seemed to maintain frequency and voltage fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.