1/2" ground rods

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark32

250.52(5)(b) states a copper grounding electrode shall be at least 5/8" in diameter unless listed and not less than 1/2" in diameter. The HD I work at sells both 5/8" and 1/2" but I never recommend the 1/2" but since it is listed (The labeling states it's a ground rod) I guess one could use them instead of the 5/8" version, correct?

pete m.

As long as the ground rod is properly listed the NEC recognizes a 1/2 inch or greater diameter.

Pete

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Locally you can. However, the problem here was the UL mark is a few inches down the rod and the inspector wants to see the mark..... so you drive 3/4+ of the rod, have the inspection, then drive the rod flush to meet Code and another inspection. Here, not worth the trouble.

rwreuter

as odd as this sounds, but isn't it nuts to look for a ul listing on a ground rod?

i mean what other substitute can you use for a ground rod?!? who makes knock offs of ground rods?

the worst i have ever seen concerning ground rods (i have never done it) is cut one in half and BAM you have two ground rods.

rw

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
as odd as this sounds, but isn't it nuts to look for a ul listing on a ground rod?

i mean what other substitute can you use for a ground rod?!? who makes knock offs of ground rods?

the worst i have ever seen concerning ground rods (i have never done it) is cut one in half and BAM you have two ground rods.

rw

nuts it may be, but 250.(A)(5) requires them to be listed unless they are 5/8 in diameter. I don't write it :)

aftershock

Locally you can. However, the problem here was the UL mark is a few inches down the rod and the inspector wants to see the mark..... so you drive 3/4+ of the rod, have the inspection, then drive the rod flush to meet Code and another inspection. Here, not worth the trouble.

Here in Memphis our connection point is above ground level.

char

rw

I've seen rebar used....

e57

How does the inspector know you're gonna drive it the rest of the way - and why not use 10's? (They don't slide back and forth as much in the conduit carrier either...)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Does it have to be 8' in the ground if it is less than 25 ohms?

The two requirements are independent of each other:

250.53(G) Rod and Pipe Electrodes. The electrode shall be installed such that at least 2.44 m (8 ft) of length is in contact with the soil. It shall be driven to a depth of not less than 2.44 m (8 ft) except that, where rock bottom is encountered, the electrode shall be driven at an oblique angle not to exceed 45 degrees from the vertical or, where rock bottom is encountered at an angle up to 45 degrees, the electrode shall be permitted to be buried in a trench that is at least 750 mm (30 in.) deep. The upper end of the electrode shall be flush with or below ground level unless the aboveground end and the grounding electrode conductor attachment are protected against physical damage as specified in 250.10.

250.56 Resistance of Rod, Pipe, and Plate Electrodes.
A single electrode consisting of a rod, pipe, or plate that does not have a resistance to ground of 25 ohms or less shall be augmented by one additional electrode of any of the types specified by 250.52(A)(4) through (A)(8). Where multiple rod, pipe, or plate electrodes are installed to meet the requirements of this section, they shall not be less than 1.8 m (6 ft) apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.