QO handle ties

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPARKS40

This is in my own home. I have an old QO panel (40 years) that I am going to be replacing at some point because it's obsolete and i want to be proactive rather than reactive if the main breaker happens to go south. I figure about two to three hours without power at my own choosing is preferable to it going out at an inconvenient time. The question i had is this. I have two MWBC's in the existing panel that are on four single pole breakers. If it was you, would you go ahead and buy the two DP breakers to throw in now, or is it just as good using the handle ties i already had in my parts bag? I probably won't get to replacing the panel until sometime late summer. I'm just wondering if the ties are just as good in regard to providing a common trip for both circuits. I will be replacing all of the breakers except for what i already have when i replace the panel.Thanks in advance.

480sparky

I was unaware that SqD QOs were obsolete.
scratch-1.gif
Did I miss a memo?

kwired

Electron manager
what style is the main breaker. there may be repalacement mains available. I have replaced older ones before. They cost just as much or more as an entire panel but is cheaper to replace just the breaker in most cases after considering the labor involved and nowadays on a home you may have to make other changes if changing the panel to meet new codes (depends on your local rules).

I am assuming you have a 150 or 200 amp main. The older 100 amp mains were a plug on breaker and a retaining clip. New plug on breakers will still work on these. Most of them usually had buss failure where the main plugs on instead of breaker failure. The buss in these panels were usually aluminum and I recommend getting rid of it if is having problems, the problems will only continue to get worse. Sq D's aluminum buss in these panels was a bad idea, the rest of the panel was good though.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Maybe I'm weird (duh!), but I don't replace parts because of age alone. If I had money to burn, maybe.

If the main breaker operates manually and has little voltage drop (FOP), I'd live with it without concern.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
When I replace older panels with MWBC's, I put them right back on single poles like they were when I started. I do make an effort to group the wires in the panel if they weren't to begin with.

SPARKS40

I'm gonna try to post some pics, and i'll get some model numbers. It's a 225A main. House is all electric. The box is actually a panelboard with a removable 40 slot interior. I am replacing not just because of the difficulty of obtaining replacement parts, but the fact that there is corrosion that has started on the box itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.