Where in the NEC...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie Bob

I know that there's a certain length that you have to go by when you install a service with a meter base and from the meter base you directly into the panel box inside the dweling. My inspector told me that not more than 4' of unfused service conductors (would this be a feeder instead?) can enter the dweling. He said it doesn't matter how ling they are outside , but as soon as you enter the dweling, 4' rule apply.

Do you know where in the NEC there is such requirement?

Or its a AHJ regulation?

Thanks.

ceb58

I know that there's a certain length that you have to go by when you install a service with a meter base and from the meter base you directly into the panel box inside the dweling. My inspector told me that not more than 4' of unfused service conductors (would this be a feeder instead?) can enter the dweling. He said it doesn't matter how ling they are outside , but as soon as you enter the dweling, 4' rule apply.

Do you know where in the NEC there is such requirement?

Or its a AHJ regulation?

Thanks.

Nothing on certain length in the NEC. Inspector call

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It remains my opinion that the code wording is very clear on this issue. It permits no unfused wiring on the inside of the structure. It requires the OCPD "nearest" the point of entrance. I read this as meaning the point at which the conductors penetrate the inside surface of the wall, floor or ceiling. There are some AHJs who agree with this position, but most are more reasonable and permit a limited length inside the structure. This is one that you always have to know what the AHJ permits.

kwired

Electron manager
It remains my opinion that the code wording is very clear on this issue. It permits no unfused wiring on the inside of the structure. It requires the OCPD "nearest" the point of entrance. I read this as meaning the point at which the conductors penetrate the inside surface of the wall, floor or ceiling. There are some AHJs who agree with this position, but most are more reasonable and permit a limited length inside the structure. This is one that you always have to know what the AHJ permits.

I don't feel the wording is very clear if it was we would not have different lengths of allowed service conductors within a building from one jurisdiction to another. The word "nearest" is not a precision measurement of any kind. 'Nearest' to a person who regularly works on 1000 - 2000 square feet structures will have an entirely different meaning to someone that regularly works on 50,000 or 100,000 + square feet structures.

Even a service switch located on an exterior wall with entrance conductors entering the back of enclosure will most likely have more conductor "inside the building" on a 1200 amp switch than on a 100 amp switch just because of the size differences and bending space differences.

Status
Not open for further replies.