What is going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

laketime

Gave a price for an addition and the gc called me back and said he thought my price was high (like usual) then her proceeds to tell me he doesnt think subs have dropped their prices enough to reflect the market. I aksed him where he thinks we should be and he said we should be (for electrical) at about $1/sq foot for a standard resi. install because that is what he was getting in 1991. I could not stop laughing.

mcclary's electrical

never bid another job for him.
There's one around here that tries to beat everyboidy down to 2 dollars,,,and that's darn near impossible to wire the most basic house for that

kwired

Electron manager
In 1991 copper prices were not the same as now, steel prices were not the same as now, GFCI requirements have been expanded since then, AFCI requirements did not exist, tamper resistant receptacles were not even heard of, fuel prices were lower, labor rates were lower, insurance was probably lower, where do you want me to stop.

I bet the plumbers and HVAC guys as well as the GC are able to do things for the same price as 1991 because none of the above mentioned items applies to them:mad:

dmagyar

GC'S getting into solar installs

GC'S getting into solar installs

I just read an article in the local newspaper about some poor GC that's now getting into solar. This should be a wake up for any EC that isn't doing solar now.

GUNNING

Passing the stupid test!

Passing the stupid test!

I had a GC call me up and tell me he would let me wire his 1100 square foot houses for $1 a square foot, 12 years ago. I had to stop and figure, as an intellectual game, could it be done?

I realized real fast I couldn't do the service for that. The permit was over $200 which left 900 for breakers wire meter can conduit and ditch out to the street with a quartzite box. I see he is still trying to find that electrician dumb enough to say yes.

Congradulations for passing the stupid test.

ceb58

never bid another job for him.
There's one around here that tries to beat everyboidy down to 2 dollars,,,and that's darn near impossible to wire the most basic house for that

I am wireing a small apartment over a garage 700 sq ft. At $1.00 per sq I would pay for material, barely. The labor and profit would not be any where to be found.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Did ya ask the GC how much he's dropped his price?

I would not be real surprised if he hasn't dropped his price a lot.

Town homes in one subdivision I am aware of that would have been $200k a few years ago around here are being built and sold for maybe $125k now, including lot.

No doubt some corners are being cut, but externally they look just like the other houses in the developments.

Its a very serious buyer's market right now.

TOOL_5150

I had a GC call me up and tell me he would let me wire his 1100 square foot houses for $1 a square foot, 12 years ago. I had to stop and figure, as an intellectual game, could it be done?

I realized real fast I couldn't do the service for that. The permit was over $200 which left 900 for breakers wire meter can conduit and ditch out to the street with a quartzite box. I see he is still trying to find that electrician dumb enough to say yes.

Congradulations for passing the stupid test.

Yeah, that is crazy. Here, I do a service for 2-4 dollars an amp.

~Matt

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I don't get a by-the-amp price. I'm not going to charge half as much for a 100a as a 200a in an all-other-things-being-equal installation.

The labor is almost the same, and the materials aren't half as much. Every job is different. Back-to-back or exterior main, building material, etc.

mcclary's electrical

I don't get a by-the-amp price. I'm not going to charge half as much for a 100a as a 200a in an all-other-things-being-equal installation.

The labor is almost the same, and the materials aren't half as much. Every job is different. Back-to-back or exterior main, building material, etc.

I agree,,,you're right,,,,and actually,,,,a 100 or 150 amp main breaker panel cost more than a 200. You can get a valuepak around 100 bucks. A 200 amp service can be done cheaper than a smaller service.

And who's gonna do a 200 amp service for 400 bucks?

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Here's the long and short of this - if you work for a GC, you're a sub-contractor and you're not allowed to make any money. The GC makes all the money. If need be he'll stand outside of Big Orange until he finds an EC hungry enough who will do the work for the price he wants to pay. Don't even mention arc-fault breakers or TR receptacles. None of that matters to him. He has a formula for pricing jobs in his head that's always worked and now that the economy is down he figures he can get it on the cheap.

I recently referred a friend (a GC) to another friend who is putting on an addition to his house and upgrading his kitchen. The GC never asked me for a price and closed the job with the homeowner. When I gave him my price for about $22K for electrical he choked. I come to find out that he got the job because he did things like give the HO an "allowance" for a certain # of hi-hats instead of bidding exactly what was shown on the plans.

I may be about to lose 2 friends over this.:mad:

satcom

The GC never asked me for a price and closed the job with the homeowner. When I gave him my price for about $22K for electrical he choked.

Once upon a time long" long" ago, when GC's had some business sense, and a bit more experience, they gave a professional estimate that everyone form owner to sub could live with.

macmikeman

This response is directed at all. Think about this, what was your experience and knowledge level in this trade back in 1986 or 1991 compared to right now? I know mine was way inferior back then, except for maybe in basic electrical theory which I have neglected greatly (sadly) due to lack of use. By the way, thanks to all at this site for greatly improving my weak areas over the span I have been a member here.. That increased knowledge we all gained over time is worth more money, economy be dammed. Do not let yourselves be sold short on your true value. It is all about what you know, not what you are doing on the job right now. Residential gc's always manage to ignore this fact, they are trying to equate you with the dolts they have on the payroll hanging drywall and pounding nails. Don't let them influence your thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.