Va Master's Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwcline

Hi all, i've searched through this forum and haven't found anyone who has taken the Va master's test recently. I have purchased Mike Holt's books (Electrical NEC exam Prep, Basic Electrical Theory, and Understanding the NEC). Is there anything else I should be studying? Also, how many questions are on the test, what materials can I bring and are they using the 2005 code book? I teach the 1st year of an apprenticeship, and being honest, have forgotten some of the calculations. So i'm trying to make sure I study up to be prepared for this. Thanks in advance!

mcclary's electrical

Hi all, i've searched through this forum and haven't found anyone who has taken the Va master's test recently. I have purchased Mike Holt's books (Electrical NEC exam Prep, Basic Electrical Theory, and Understanding the NEC). Is there anything else I should be studying? Also, how many questions are on the test, what materials can I bring and are they using the 2005 code book? I teach the 1st year of an apprenticeship, and being honest, have forgotten some of the calculations. So i'm trying to make sure I study up to be prepared for this. Thanks in advance!

As Larry stated, I would call and find out what they're testing on. I know someone who took it a little over 1& 1/2 years agoand they were testing on 02' The only literature referenced in the test at that time was

NEC'02
American Electrician's Handbook 14th edition

But they're probably testing on 05' and 15th edition by now

wwcline

I'm near Henrico Doctor's Hospital on Forest and Skipwith. My band plays on 360 all the time! We are playing at Overtime Sports bar on April 2nd and we play the Hanover Crab Feast every year! Glad to hear from some local boys!

hardworkingstiff

Go through and understand all of the calculation examples in the back of the book. Read the code references listed in the calculations.

Some of the best advice I received about test taking was to skip a question you can't find the answer to in 30-60 seconds. Write down on a piece of paper the question number and a few words to identify the question. As you go through the exam you may come across the answer to this question while looking up the answer to another question. Then it's easy to go back to the one you didn't answer when you learn the answer.

Good luck.

jumper

Go through and understand all of the calculation examples in the back of the book. Read the code references listed in the calculations.

Some of the best advice I received about test taking was to skip a question you can't find the answer to in 30-60 seconds. Write down on a piece of paper the question number and a few words to identify the question. As you go through the exam you may come across the answer to this question while looking up the answer to another question. Then it's easy to go back to the one you didn't answer when you learn the answer.

Good luck.

Nice advice, I like it a lot. Thanks.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Oh yeah, do any of you know what calculations if any they ask for?
If they ask for service calcs, check out the examples in the back of the NEC, and substitute your numbers in the closest example.

The only calcs I messed up were the PF questions, because I forgot the one simple rule: the PF ratio always results in 1.0 or lower.

mcclary's electrical

Good luck.

Good advise,,,,,good point,,, all question are worth the same amount on the test, so basically to give yourself the best chances, go through and answer all the ones you know without researching anything first,(each one of them are just as valueable as a 10 minute calculation),,,, second go through and answer any you have to look up inthe code book and third, go through again and do all the math questions at once, so once you're in math mode, you stay in math mode,,,not go from code question, to math question, and back to code question, there's not much room in those booths, and you can't keep switching back and forth.,,,just my opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.