What is going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricmanscott

This response is directed at all. Think about this, what was your experience and knowledge level in this trade back in 1986 or 1991 compared to right now? I know mine was way inferior back then, except for maybe in basic electrical theory which I have neglected greatly (sadly) due to lack of use. By the way, thanks to all at this site for greatly improving my weak areas over the span I have been a member here.. That increased knowledge we all gained over time is worth more money, economy be dammed. Do not let yourselves be sold short on your true value. It is all about what you know, not what you are doing on the job right now. Residential gc's always manage to ignore this fact, they are trying to equate you with the dolts they have on the payroll hanging drywall and pounding nails. Don't let them influence your thinking.

Good points for sure. Unfortunatley your true value is only what people will pay for it. Right now that isn't much.

BTW in 1986 I was just hoping to get my license...to drive!

hardworkingstiff

This response is directed at all. Think about this, what was your experience and knowledge level in this trade back in 1986 or 1991 compared to right now? I know mine was way inferior back then, except for maybe in basic electrical theory which I have neglected greatly (sadly) due to lack of use. By the way, thanks to all at this site for greatly improving my weak areas over the span I have been a member here.. That increased knowledge we all gained over time is worth more money, economy be dammed. Do not let yourselves be sold short on your true value. It is all about what you know, not what you are doing on the job right now. Residential gc's always manage to ignore this fact, they are trying to equate you with the dolts they have on the payroll hanging drywall and pounding nails. Don't let them influence your thinking.

I understand and agree with your premise. The one thing that is not mentioned is that we are in a supply and demand business. When supply exceeds demand, prices fall. Right now, there are more electricians then there is electrical work. The prices will float down until they get so low that a bunch of us will refuse to do the work. Then and only then will we see stabilization in pricing.

Now, if you are perceived as being better, you should command better pricing. So dust off that sales hat and get to it. :)

macmikeman

:mad: 1986, my 2nd child was 2 years old (7 years younger than my 1st).

Got my drivers license in 1968. Dang Scott, I'm OLD compared to you.

Lou, if you got your drivers license in 68 your OLD compared to me....:grin:
and since you are not VERY much older, I just managed to miss having to go over "there" by reason of they pulled out the year I finished high school. Did you have to go?

CopperTone

5 years ago I could buy a coil of 14/2 NM 250ft for $19 plus 5% tax. Today it is $46 plus 6.25% tax in eastern massachusetts.

New houses Additional Costs

arc faults - $35-$45 each
Tampers $ .50 each more

Everything costs more - everything. including cost of doing business.

Sure you have to eat but you shouldn't be running your business into the ground. I laugh at and ignore GC's that try to beat me down. unfortunately for our business there are enough guys out there that fight over that work. I let them have it. They are like a pack of dogs fighting over one piece of rotten meat. Eventually they will learn.

How many times do you have to lose money before you decide to charge more and hold your ground and actually make money?

Buyers market sure - but there still are minimum costs associated with running a business and paying employees.

I do jobs every day where I ask "what happened to the guy who installed this? Most common answer is " I don't know, I can't find him, his number is disconnected, he won't answer the phone, he is out of business."

I tell people all the time " call me in 3 years and we'll be here to help you out" (unless I'm dead of course)

LawnGuyLandSparky

I understand and agree with your premise. The one thing that is not mentioned is that we are in a supply and demand business. When supply exceeds demand, prices fall. Right now, there are more electricians then there is electrical work. The prices will float down until they get so low that a bunch of us will refuse to do the work. Then and only then will we see stabilization in pricing.

Now, if you are perceived as being better, you should command better pricing. So dust off that sales hat and get to it. :)

Odd that I haven't seen this supply/demand effect on gas prices, milk, automobiles, or at the retail level.

Status
Not open for further replies.