Getting UL listing

Status
Not open for further replies.

WinZip

Does anyone know aprox cost on getting a product ul tested an Listed , is it a flat fee or does this vary in cost.

wireguru

it varies depending on several factors including the type and complexity of the product, and whether any of the components used require additional testing. I recently obtained a quote from a NRTL for a relatively simple device, constructed entirely from listed devices or recognized components inside a custom steel enclosure and it came in at around $12K.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
When I worked for manufacturers, the generally accepted internal value that needed to be amortized into projected sales was $20,000 per line item for UL listing. maybe a little less for devices that had no protective function built-in. In other words when we in Engineering proposed a new product design, accounting assigned an NRC ( Non-Recurring Cost/Charge) of $20k per line item that needed to be recouped in the first 2-5 years of projected sales. They would take that to the Sales Dept for projected unit sales volume and then split that up as part of the unit cost that went into the pricing structure. So if Sales said they could sell 10,000 units, the UL cost was only $2 each. But if Sales said "We can sell 100 units" then the UL cost was $200 each and that would affect the sell price greatly. It killed a LOT of great ideas...

That's why I always laugh at people who look at some small device and say "I could built that myself for 1/10 of what they want to charge for it!" but they have no clue as to what it costs to attain (let alone maintain) UL listing.

Last edited:

wireguru

That's why I always laugh at people who look at some small device and say "I could built that myself for 1/10 of what they want to charge for it!"

thats one of my pet peeves. I always tell them 'wow ok, go ahead and make them and ill buy them from you'. That shuts them up pretty quick.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Does anyone know aprox cost on getting a product ul tested an Listed , is it a flat fee or does this vary in cost.

It depends a lot on what it is.

If it can be classified under UL508a, all you really have to do is have a panel shop that is listed by UL build it for you.

UL508a (industrial control panels) is basically any assembly of parts with wires attached to it that does not fall under any other UL category.

Not an appropriate listing for a component or consumer goods.

russ

I had a problem recently with an unlisted sign / running message board. It was sold to a store owner by a sales rep dealing just in selling signs.
After it's bought, the buyer must hire an electrician, or sign company to install it.
By then the seller is gone, the sign gets put up, then we find out it's not listed.
I checked with a testing lab and was give an approximate price of $1,500.00 for a field evaluation. Pretty steep for a store owner who thought he was getting a sign at a reasonable price of a few thousand dollars.

We have instituted a new policy of getting the sign listing info at the time the permit is applied for.

Status
Not open for further replies.