Extending circuits and AFCI's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buck Parrish

I know you are suppose to afci protect an existing circuit if you extend the circuit to add an outlet .

If you are upgrading a service. You remove an old fuse panel on an interior wall.
You then pull all the existing branch circuits down to the crawl space.
You splice them , then pull the new spiced wires to the new panel 20 ft away, on an out side wall.

Would these existing old circuits be required to be AFCI protected?

macmikeman

210.12 (B) 2008 NEC The guys who wrote the code have Larry's opinion as well. I don't see the requirement for installing afci's anyplace else especially under the section regarding installation of overcurrent devices.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
cool, thanks
I agree that 210.12(B) reads, to me, to say that outlets installed must have AFCI protection.

That said, I work in an area with multiple AHJs, depending upon geographic location. One large AHJ has published that any new outlet added to an existing circuit requires the circuit to AFCI protection, while another, ever larger AHJ, bordering the first, says the opposite.

Neither AHJ have published a stance on adding a length of cable to an existing branch circuit in order to change the location of the OCPD.

With the amount of work you are doing, I wouldn't price it until I knew the local AHJ's opinion on the matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.