Suggestion on Payment schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishRugger

Hello

I have just been hired by a customer for wiring their new custom home, We met several times to go over what they wanted in the home, I priced it according to their specifications and they have accepted my proposal.

We agreed to set up a contract with a payment schedule included. I have also included with my proposal the cost for any additional openings if they so wish to add any at the time of rough in. I made it clear that the prices for additional openings I gave them are for at the time of electrical rough in only. They verbally communicated to me that they understand this point and will try to adhere to the addition of openings at the time of rough in and additional openings after the drywall is on will reflect a different cost.

I plan to search this forum for examples of contracts and change order forms and to use them. I would like to ask you if you would please give me some suggestions as far as a payment schedule. I have researched previous posts in this regard and would like some more advice. I'm really looking for frequency of payments and percentages to request. I am dealing directly with the customers no GC for me to deal with. I want to sharpen my business sense and skills

I plan to take my proposal and put it in an estimate form on my quickbooks and bill out in payments.

Just so you guys know I took alot of time with these folks to eliminate the need for large multiple change orders as the project progresses. I did this as a result from past experience and advice and information that I received from this forum in the past. I thank you in advance and look foward to your input.

muckusmc

Depends of the total of the job -

Up to and including $ 5000,00 - Deposit of 1/2, 40% of remainder for service and rough, 10% upon final.

Up to and including $ 15,000.00 - 40%, 30% rough, 20% service, 10% upon final.

Over that gets complicated because archetechs and engineers usually get involved with their AIA forms.

cadpoint

The OP stated no GC, as long as they know the commerce laws in their State, I beleive they may be fine with a rational percentage of take per completion. The OP has been hand holding a lot, there's no more pay per device, but just the same... I'm not on a draw!

satcom

In some places, 1/3 down is illegal.

In other places, 1/3 down will get your hat handed to you and shown the door.

In most places, the 1/3 down deposit may be different from law if agreed by both parties.

If your hat is handed to you, this customer may be someone that does not intend to pay.

Sparky555

I don't use set percentages for payment schedules but I have a policy about schedules. I get an advance which covers at least the rough materials and half the labor of the project. The rough payment is at least the other half of the labor. The final payment is no more than the profit of the project. I'm solid as a rock in completing projects. If the customer stops the project, I don't really have to be concerned with collections. The money is already in my account.

Status
Not open for further replies.