Panelbords in sterile area

Status
Not open for further replies.
The hospital where I work they?re getting ready to remodel Sterile Processing (the area where they clean the equipment for use in surgery), the designer is installing 5 new electrical panels in an area that is going to be sterile, which means that any time any one needs to access any of these breaker panels, they are going to have to put on sterile clothing, and if you have to open the panel cover you will have to build a barrier around the panels and bring in a air purifier.

I can not find anything in the code to make them move these panels outside of the sterile area; do any of you know of a code that will help me get these panels move before they are installed?

Thanks
Mike

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
The hospital where I work they?re getting ready to remodel Sterile Processing (the area where they clean the equipment for use in surgery), the designer is installing 5 new electrical panels in an area that is going to be sterile, which means that any time any one needs to access any of these breaker panels, they are going to have to put on sterile clothing, and if you have to open the panel cover you will have to build a barrier around the panels and bring in a air purifier.

I can not find anything in the code to make them move these panels outside of the sterile area; do any of you know of a code that will help me get these panels move before they are installed?

Thanks
Mike

I don't know of any code that will help you out. However, sometimes the indirect approach is best. If you can shmooze the Facility Manager a little, make him understand what an operational hell someone is preparing for him, perhaps as the end user he can be your champion. On the other hand, if you are the Facility Manager I can only offer my sympathies, as clearly the idiots...I mean powers-that-be aren't listening to the folks in the trenches. Sadly, poor decisions on their part almost never cause themselves any pain. Someone's signature here says it all; "Stupid should be painful".

mxslick

........ Someone's signature here says it all; "Stupid should be painful".

That would be me. :)

Credit for that line goes to my good friend and landlord, who sells swords at Renaissance Festivals, and was coined after a customer asked if a particular sword was sharp as the customer ran his hand down the edge, resulting in several stitches being needed. :grin:

char

Thanks
Mike

I agree, it is best not to have panelboards in the Sterile Processing area - However it is not unheard of. Maintenance peeps are not unfamiliar with suiting up. But I have worked in 'alot' of hospitals and have never seen anyone bring in an air purifier...

dejeud

Thanks
Mike

There isn't anything in the code that would prohibit that location.
But as someone else mentioned already, I'd try to sell to the customer what hell would be every time someone needs to access those panels. Not only the electrician, but the customer inconvenience.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
That would be me. :)

Credit for that line goes to my good friend and landlord, who sells swords at Renaissance Festivals, and was coined after a customer asked if a particular sword was sharp as the customer ran his hand down the edge, resulting in several stitches being needed. :grin:

Was the customer from Missouri :D:D?

mxslick

Was the customer from Missouri :D:D?

LOL no, but funny you should mention that state as our dear friend and "Neighbor Lady" who makes wooden toys is from Missouri. :grin:

Her booth is "Neighbor Lady's Place."

If I may be allowed a moment of OT..our booth and "Neighbor Lady's Place" will be featured in an upcoming episode of the show "House". (Which is a medical show so it makes this kinda on topic in a way.)

As for the panel placement, I have seen it done in sterile areas in hospitals before.

cadpoint

I believe it all comes how you’re State or even a State Board sees it, the first listing is the most comprehensive list I could find on building factors in IN. Here

The second listing is about the same based on a search of; “state Indiana building department”.

The one I was looking for was this one, “Indiana state dept of health

I’ll let you do the rooting around!

My State has State Medical Building Codes that excide the State Building requirements and thus the third search; I’d just keep that in mind as you forward, to get an answer to your problem.

The one thing you didn’t mention in your OP, is that all tools and equipment are usually required to be wiped down before entering a sterile area! Sounds like a real nightmare, Good Luck.

Last edited:

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
You might try suggesting that Sterile Processing can't afford to loose the 3' deep by 30" wide floor space that each of these panels will need kept clear in front of it.

For example, try loudly proclaiming "I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT ENGINEERING CONVINCED STERILE PROCESSING TO GIVE UP 36 SQ FT OF FLOOR SPACE FOR OUR ELECTRICAL PANELS!!" :)

Steve

kwired

Electron manager
are there any sterilizing agents that will have deteriorating effects on the panels or any of the components, or possibly make this a hazardous location?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
We install panels in sterile areas all the time but they serve that particular space, not general lighting and branch circuits all over the hospital.

Roger

JoshL

Occupation
Engineer
Could Arc-Flash PPE requirements help you out? I am guessing that sterile arc flash gear could be quite difficult to come by and could make a case for moving the panels. That depends on how high of an arc flash category these would be. Or maybe once you are in the purified air barrier it doesn't matter what you wear.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
We had two clean rooms where I used to work and they wanted to do the same thing, to bring home our point about it not being a good idea, I simply slapped my tool pouch and they saw all the dust fly off it and said that outside the room seemed like a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.