electrical inspectors enforcing specs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cavie

I doubt it. Did the inspector get a copy of the project manual? Is he conversant with all the RFI's and responses thereto? All the change orders? The AHJ or inspector can only enforce what's required by code. If the spec requires wiring in RMC but the code allows wiring in MC, the inspector has no choice but to say "pass" if the EC uses MC. The rest is a melee with the EC, architect, GC, and owner. If I was an inspector I'd want no part of it.

The plans go thru plan review and that is what must be installed uless it doesn't meet min code. As an inspector I asked to see the approved plans.

e57

Mark, where is around here? I work all over the SF Bay Area and most projects require electrical plans submitted for review to get a permit. Small jobs such as adding a few receptacles don't usually require plans or calcs.
SF proper does not. Often the stamped set has no electrical apart from part 6 calc formated sheets. FA different story - fine toothed comb. Sometimes there might be a few bits of red pen about providing smoke detectors on resi RCP's - on A sets at that - because they were never provided an E set. Planning is often unconcerned. The permit is based on a range of openings... Also remember SF is 95% remodels and TI's - very little new construction.

Note, an electrical permit is separate from the building permit and shall be
filed whenever electrical work is to be performed. This means that a separate electrical permit is required in addition to any other permits being filed.​
ARE ELECTRICAL PLANS REQUIRED?​
Consult with the Electrical Inspection Division to determine if your project will require electrical plans.
The answer to the question in bold - is most likely - no.... Unless... You are installing transformers within a building, or a service which varied in size - depending on the mood of the person you ask - 600A to 1200A ;) So most of the permits are over the counter....

e57

CA Contractors License Law 7109(b) Departure from Plans and/or Specifications. Minimum Penalty: Revocation, stayed, 2 years probation. Maimum Penalty: Revocation.
This one is new to me - Gonna have to look into that more closely. :roll: I'm sure to have violated a number of times...

KentAT

CA Contractors License Law 7109(b) Departure from Plans and/or Specifications. Minimum Penalty: Revocation, stayed, 2 years probation. Maimum Penalty: Revocation.

The full text better describes the intent:

b) A willful departure from or disregard of plans or specifications in any material respect, which is prejudicial to another, without the consent of the owner or his or her duly authorized representative and without the consent of the person entitled to have the particular construction project or operation completed in accordance with such plans or specifications, constitutes a cause for disciplinary action.

e57

The full text better describes the intent:

b) A willful departure from or disregard of plans or specifications in any material respect, which is prejudicial to another, without the consent of the owner or his or her duly authorized representative and without the consent of the person entitled to have the particular construction project or operation completed in accordance with such plans or specifications, constitutes a cause for disciplinary action.
Yes that is more detailed and vague at the same time.

mcclary's electrical

I doubt it. Did the inspector get a copy of the project manual? Is he conversant with all the RFI's and responses thereto? All the change orders? The AHJ or inspector can only enforce what's required by code. If the spec requires wiring in RMC but the code allows wiring in MC, the inspector has no choice but to say "pass" if the EC uses MC. The rest is a melee with the EC, architect, GC, and owner. If I was an inspector I'd want no part of it.

You have obviously never worked in Richmond,VA,,,,,if you veer from the plans, that's fine,,,,,,but you need a new set of plans re-engineered and submitted for approval. Welcome to the real world

jumper

You have obviously never worked in Richmond,VA,,,,,if you veer from the plans, that's fine,,,,,,but you need a new set of plans re-engineered and submitted for approval. Welcome to the real world

Yep.

The last job I did up that was the strip shops at a Ukrops in Ashland, near that that large gun store, Big Top?

We used disconnects that were different than the ones that were speced and the inspector made us change them all. The boss said they were fine, but is was a no-go. Boss learned an expensive lesson that day.

mcclary's electrical

Yep.

The last job I did up that was the strip shops at a Ukrops in Ashland, near that that large gun store, Big Top?

We used disconnects that were different than the ones that were speced and the inspector made us change them all. The boss said they were fine, but is was a no-go. Boss learned an expensive lesson that day.

You might get away with it in some places. But not city of Richmond, this is one thing Paul Abernathy looks for specifically

lakee911

A lot of cities are really inforcing this just so they can collect more revenue.

Case in point, my own garage. When I built it (myself) I elected to not install the gutters that were shown on my own plans (that I drew up) because money was tight and they're not required by code.

I failed my final inspection because of it. Either install them or go through plan review again. Either way they were getting me to pay again.

Jason

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Inspection to the plans and specs is fine as long as there is a statue passed by unit of government that says that. The inspector can only inspect to what is required by the law in his area. Some areas may have rules that require you to inspect to the plans and specs as well as the electrical codes, in other areas the statute only permits inspection to the adopted code. Like with many things in this trade you have to know the local rules.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
OK, maybe I don't want to inspect to the specs. Today I just got a plan that calls out for a s**t metal box. The problem is it doesn't specify horse or bull.:grin:

LYLE2231

For civil jobs, yes. As was previously stated, the man paid good money for plans & specs. I sure wouldn't want to "stand before the man" and try to explain why the job isn't according to AIA spec's after the paint is dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.