SYMBOL for SPLIT-WIRED RECEPT

Status
Not open for further replies.

wch

WHAT'S THE BEST (UNIVERSAL) SYMBOL FOR A SPLIT-WIRED DUPLEX RECEPTACLE TO CONTROL ONE OF THE RECEPT's w/ WALL SWITCH? IS THERE
ANY STANDARD FOR WHICH RECEPT (TOP OR BOTTOM) GETS WIRED TO
THE SWITCH?

mcclary's electrical

WHAT'S THE BEST (UNIVERSAL) SYMBOL FOR A SPLIT-WIRED DUPLEX RECEPTACLE TO CONTROL ONE OF THE RECEPT's w/ WALL SWITCH? IS THERE
ANY STANDARD FOR WHICH RECEPT (TOP OR BOTTOM) GETS WIRED TO
THE SWITCH?

There is no standard, you can switch whatever one you like. But the symbol on the prints is a normal receptacle symbol with one side colored in. Sometimes it will be more obvious like a s1 or s3 beside te rec. symbol

and stop yelling at me:grin:

cadpoint

Other than the IEE or ANSI, I don't know, maybe the Corp of Engineers might have one....

Use a standard recep. symbol - a circle and two lines; two lines extend out on one side of the circle, this creates a three compartment circle, fill in one of the compartments.

Now this is the trickie part you can either have make hash marks representing the the count of CCC on a single line from the switch to the receptical, or just draw a second line from what I'll assume is a second switch in the room.

If it's not on a second switch, I'd consider only using the hash or tick marks made up of two longs and a short, IE thats two hots and a common neutral. The Ground (bond) is not shown, IE and not a CCC but exist through EMT usuage or MC or with-in modern day wiring methods.

Be sure to put it in your legend of symbols and also in the construction notes on the drawing, it's not universal but usually the bottom is switched, making the top part more accessible.

Hope that Helps... Enjoy your weekend.

480sparky

SplitRecep.jpg

cadpoint

Now this is the trickie part you can either have make hash marks representing the the count of CCC on a single line from the switch to the receptical, or just draw a second line from what I'll assume is a second switch in the room.

... IE thats two hots and a common neutral. ...

Hope that Helps... Enjoy your weekend.

Thanks, Fellows... :D

What I didn't say is this old school Hash or Tick Marks are usually at the center apex of a bowed
arc of the circuit line and are usually perpendicular to it...

Status
Not open for further replies.