conductors in same raceway

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
No. See 230.7 for related requirements.

But 230.7 wouldn't be the issue in the OP's question, all the conductors are "Service Conductors" and would be allowed in the same raceway.

Roger

Thanks for all the feedback, I really couldn't find the answer in the code. Here's the issue, I have a spare 4" PVC from the poco transformer to the CT cabinet and a spare 4" PVC from the CT cabinet to the inside of the building. I have to add a new 200 amp service, so I had a thought that I could transition the 2 conduits to a pull box then run 1 conduit to the new metersocket. Any thoughts?(This job is one of those think outside the box but keep it legal jobs)

mcclary's electrical

Thanks for all the feedback, I really couldn't find the answer in the code. Here's the issue, I have a spare 4" PVC from the poco transformer to the CT cabinet and a spare 4" PVC from the CT cabinet to the inside of the building. I have to add a new 200 amp service, so I had a thought that I could transition the 2 conduits to a pull box then run 1 conduit to the new metersocket. Any thoughts?(This job is one of those think outside the box but keep it legal jobs)

What is the existing service? There's a possibility you can do this by changing lugs in the CT cab. Then run new feeder to the 200 through the 4"

Volta

Why wouldn't they and are you speaking for all utilities?

Roger

Hmmm, good question. My Guide for Electrical Service and Meter Installations from AEP does not show any application where feed-through metering has a single entry point. Maybe they would allow it with permission. So you are right, I can't speak for other utilities. And local AEP divisions have their own methods, there is a bit of a east-west split in the company, so it might fly in some places.

This is a commercial building (welding shop) with a 600 amp service, that subdivided a portion of the building to a tenant,but they are tired of being the "electrical landlord" so they want me to add a new service meter for the tenant.The spare conduit goes to the location of the service disconnects, so refeeding the equipment inside is a "no brainer". The poco won't let me splice inside the CT cabinet( I could've just removed the feeders from the CT's and rerouted them to a new metersocket, but noooooo!). So now I have to try to fit another metersocket on the rack. I suggested the idea of a sub-meter for the tenant's panel but then they (welding shop) are still responsible for the bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.