Code Violations

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanD

I'm just curious to find out what code violations everyone see in this panel. It's fed by a 100 amp breaker in the main panel.

technoid52

I'm just curious to find out what code violations everyone see in this panel. It's fed by a 100 amp breaker in the main panel.

Very sloppy wiring and pipe work. I would not touch it. Is that liquid tight connected to an LB facing up?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I can't tell what that white wire is doing.
Is that a green hot wire?
The larger white?

Appears to be a GFCI 2P50A breaker. The white is breaker neutral reference. The green (violation) is the load neutral, and the reidentified white (violation) coming in from left most conduit is a load hot.

Where's the feeder neutral?

Last edited:

480sparky

Parallel conductors smaller than 1/0
I can't tell what that white wire is doing.
Is that a green hot wire?

They're not necesserily parallel. One could be feeding the panel, the other going elsewhere.

White wire is ground for GFCI breaker

Green wire is the noodle for the GFCI-protected circuit.

dmagyar

Feeder wire too small & or paralleled

Feeder wire too small & or paralleled

If the load from the 50/2 GFCI is #8 or even # 6 then the feeder wire by comparison is not minimum #3 which would be necessary being feed from a 100/2 c/b. But I do agree with the earlier suggestion that the feed may be paralleled illegally. Which would explain the second set of wires sharing panel feed lugs, no neutral connection from supply to upper buss. Probably due to at least one three wire SEC routed into feed panel at bottom through largest LB, possibly two which would account for all the aluminum in the lower right corner. White wire coming out of 50/2 load conduit has been taped black. Green wire incorrectly connected to load neutral connection on GFCI 50/2 breaker. The only way the 120 volt load may be working is through the neutral being incorrectly bonded to the panel, and the panel which appears to be grounded.

nhfire77

Is that two runs of Greenfield on the left side?

348.12 Uses Not Permitted.
FMC shall not be used in the following:
(1)In wet locations unless the conductors are approved for the specific conditions and the installation is such that liquid is not likely to enter raceways or enclosures to which the conduit is connected

SeanD

By the way I don't think we have parallel feeders. The 100 amp breaker in the main only has one set of wires in it. This is the interconnection point for a solar system we are selling to the homeowner. Fortunately, we get to tear this mess out and start over if he decides to go with us. The scary part is this is a relatively new home and I actually see this quite a bit in panels that have been installed for HVAC.

KP2

What do these wires go to?

This is the interconnection point for a solar system we are selling to the homeowner. Fortunately, we get to tear this mess out and start over if he decides to go with us.

Do you have any pics of solar installs you have done?

We don't see them too often in CT.

Thanks
Kevin

Smart $

Esteemed Member

(1)In wet locations unless the conductors are approved for the specific conditions and the installation is such that liquid is not likely to enter raceways or enclosures to which the conduit is connected

Looks like they installed it with the lap edge up :roll::confused:

Otherwise, its usage is debatable.

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member

Looks like they installed it with the lap edge up :roll::confused:

Otherwise, its usage is debatable.

Water can enter the FMC, it just cannot enter the enclosures or other raceways it is connected to.

nhfire77

Water can enter the FMC, it just cannot enter the enclosures or other raceways it is connected to.

I have no idea what it terminates to and whether it is arraigned to drain into an enclosure. Just sayin, looks suspect from my armchair.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
...and lap edge up allows water (rain, for one, being an exterior location, by the force of gravity and/or inertia) to enter the FMC and very likely wil run into the load end enclosure or raceway (judging by how it appears in the second picture).

newservice

yikes

yikes

I agree I wouldnt touch this except to rip it out and do it over.

First off, I doubt the panel is rated at 100A but it's fed from a 100A breaker. ? Too many to list.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.