solar help

Status
Not open for further replies.

lat1

i've been talking with a roofing company that wants to start a solar division, and they want me to run it. problem is, i know next to nothing about it. so i wanted to ask you guys for a little help.
i was hoping someone could point me in the right direction to find info on the following:

1. different types of systems/technologies and the types of materials in use these days.

2. distributors/wholesalers. who are some players in this world, nationally and locally in
colorado?

3. where to find out about tax incentives and rebates, nationally and colorado.

4.education and solar energy international. anyone ever take classes from theses guys.
looking to get my NABCEP entry level installer cert. and i know this school has been
around for a long time. is it worth it? i think you can also qualify thru local denver
community colleges.

5. does LEED help in this world also

6. are there any solar forums of the same caliber as Mike Holt?

thanks for the help folks...

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
My search on this happened to coincide with yours, Lat1. Whereabouts you at?

I know I've seen some advertisement at my local Crescent Electric Supply in Fort Collins, I am just about to fire off an email for more information.

The few solar installers that I have run across have not dazzled me with their grasp on their business, I wouldn't mind a handful myself at this point. Do a search for "solar" on this forum, and you will see a lot of threads. I have bookmarked several different sources for further review.

I did not see anyone throw their weight behind any one brand. I know Outback is popular for inverters, and I have seen Xantrex (or something like that), I have not seen what types of panels are popular. I don't know any wholesalers in my area, but unless I miss my guess, getting on as a wholesaler for a manufacturer is not going to be that difficult.

People see value in the technology, hopefully adding it to our menu will open some new doors.

ty

I typed a lengthy reply earlier today. I guess it didn't post.

in short, when I first got into PV, many 'in the know' where VERY tight lipped.
Some of that has changed, but not much.

1) many types of systems. Most popular is utility interactive, or 'grid tied'. there are also stand alone, bimodal, hybrids, and a bunch of others

2) on the West Coast, check out AEE.

3) dsire website for starters

4) it depends. for most residential and small commercial jobs, not needed, unless you have some local law or rule.

5) PV would be a part of a LEED cert, but not really your concern as a pv installer, moreso, a builders concern to have a whole house LEED certified

6) idk.

As it took me years to learn some of the 'other' things such as REC's and the 'process' such as which paperwork to file first, etc, you can PM any questions you want, but some of them aren't just going to be 'shared' on the open forum. Sorry.

ty

I did not see anyone throw their weight behind any one brand. I know Outback is popular for inverters, and I have seen Xantrex (or something like that),
I like SMA and Fronius inverters, with SMA leading. I'm not a huge fan of residential XANTREX inverters or any of the Outback's.

I have not seen what types of panels are popular.
I liked GE for some personal and business reasons. GE solar just recently changed hands, and now the new company is only going to have the 205watt modules.
Sharp, Solar World, BP, Evergreen, Canadian Solar, Schott, Schuco, Suntech, REC, are all pretty popular.
Another one that have very high ratings and are now manufactured in the US is MAGE. They are a German Company, now manufacturing in Georgia.

I don't know any wholesalers in my area, but unless I miss my guess, getting on as a wholesaler for a manufacturer is not going to be that difficult.
People see value in the technology, hopefully adding it to our menu will open some new doors.
George, if you need any contact info, PM me.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
George, if you need any contact info, PM me.
Bring it on. :)

From what little research I've done, I'm leaning toward the Enphase inverters, Sharp panels, and keeping it dirt simple. I'm not understanding some of what I read stating that Enphase charges a premium for their product, from what I can tell it saves a fortune on the install.

I welcome any feedback. :)

ty

I'm not convinced on using Enphase 'all of the time'.
I think they have their place. There is definately alot less thinking involved which is why I think some people lean towards using them all of the time.

They can definately help where shading is an issue.
There is less loss due to voltage drop than with a DC set up.
There also is many more inverters, which, if one goes bad can be a pain to replace.

Status
Not open for further replies.