Water infiltration

Status
Not open for further replies.

eds

Bringing conduits into a basement mechanical room, typically I would 90 up hit a LB and penetrate the rim joist. This particular job will work better if I enter the basement through the foundation walls, by doing so conduits will enter at a lower point then where they originate. My concern is over the course of 10 years or so water will gravitate to these entrance points and enter the MDP. I usually foam or duct seal but not sure if this will be adequate. Longest runs will start 120 from house in a ct cabinet, trenched 4' below grade untill they terminate in the back of MDP.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We've used a product similar to this in the past:

foundation.jpg

eds

that looks like it encases the conduit when it comes thru the sleeve, what have you used in the conduit

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
that looks like it encases the conduit when it comes thru the sleeve, what have you used in the conduit

Yes there's a sleeve in the concrete and the conduit goes through it with the mechanical sealer around it. We pulled in typical THHN/THWN.

hardworkingstiff

Do you have room to mount a wireway adjacent to the MDP? Enter the wireway and then the MDP. The wireway could be a collection point and installed to drain. This way if your conduit ever takes on water, the water will not get into the panel.

If you are entering the back of the MDP below the busbar, I'm not so sure it's an issue. If extra care is taken with the (assumed) PVC (use primer) you should have a pretty tight conduit system.

HotConductor

Seperate your conductors and spray foam both ends with a good water proof product and that's about all you can do. I just did a job like the one you describe and I have had no problems. If your conductors have the new "no lube needed coating" on them you may want to scuff them up with a scotchbrite pad where you foam.

eds

I would like to enter in the upper half of the MDP due mainly to the depth requirements of the trench required to enter the bottom half. I have considered entering a trough but will have both service conduits and feeder conduits to terminate in MDP.

eds

I am mainly concerned about the long term collection of water in the conduits. There will be (3) 3'' pvc conduits and (4) 2.5'' conduits

eds

all but one of the conduits will enter from outside, one of the conduits will enter from top (overhead slab rough) (basement with slab poured over the top)

hardworkingstiff

all but one of the conduits will enter from outside, one of the conduits will enter from top (overhead slab rough) (basement with slab poured over the top)
Think you can keep all those conduits dry? I sure would try to install a wireway before the MDP.

I think it would be wise to consult the manufacturer on where you are talking about entering the panel (and what the conditions are).

Let us know what you wind up doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.