Low Voltage Rope Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

PetrosA

I've used 12V 5W/ft. rope light from American Lighting (ALI) that was not bad. It kind of sounds like they're going to be discontinuing it in favor of LED strips, but I can't say for sure. It comes in 16' lengths which are cuttable every 2". They sell an end feeder (designed for the 120V versions with a two prong plug on it) but it didn't work in my application. A designer specced Ambiance lights under a window sill in one part of the kitchen and under a 4" deep shelf in another to match Ambiance lights under a cabinet but the reveals were too small to hide Ambiance or the end feeder for the rope light. I stripped it back and landed it in the Ambiance joiner.

PetrosA

A requirement for Art 411 lighting that it has to be a listed as a complete system. IE, you are llimited on what you can mix and match.

Yes, I'm aware of that as it applies to exposed bare conductor systems, but it also allows an assembly of listed parts (mix and match). As I stated, the 12V light rope was sold with a separate "end feed" that had a 120V two prong plug on it which certainly doesn't qualify as a system, nor were there instructions included with either the rope or the plug. Ambiance products have a warning not to use a non-Seagull transformer with the lampholders and bulbs otherwise something will burn and you will surely die, but I've never seen a warning about hooking up non-Ambiance 12V products to the transformer. Since I used a Seagull system to feed the festoon sockets, those exposed bare conductors are being used in the correct system. Since there is no warning in the instructions not to add listed parts not of that system, I don't see any code problem with adding the rope light to the transformer as long as I'm under the rated load.

Status
Not open for further replies.