Multiple Buildings fed from single service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wired1

I have a set of plans for a strip shopping center( 3 seperate Buildings)fed from a single service on one of the buildings.

2 issues I am concerned about.

Neither subfed building has a main disconnect. Each of these buildings will have a trough with space for future tenent disconnects and in one buildings case more than 6 disconnects.
Would the 6 disconnect rule apply to buildings fed from other services ?

Also the subfed buildings have house circuits (lighting and GFCI's) fed from a house panel at the original service.
This sounds like an issue, having branch circuits with no form of disconnect at the local building. However I can not find a code referance that does not allow this.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

360Youth

Considering the services, the only things that pops into my head is whether the "main" building will end up with more the limit of 6 disconnects, and I wanted to say that service needs a disconnect where it enters the building, but with the first disconnect, I am not sure it is still required. 230.70 (A)(1) seems to say that it is needed.

Actually, 225.32 is a better spot. If it were me, I would varify interpretation with local AHJ.

Last edited:

mcclary's electrical

I have a set of plans for a strip shopping center( 3 seperate Buildings)fed from a single service on one of the buildings.

2 issues I am concerned about.

Neither subfed building has a main disconnect. Each of these buildings will have a trough with space for future tenent disconnects and in one buildings case more than 6 disconnects.
Would the 6 disconnect rule apply to buildings fed from other services ?

Also the subfed buildings have house circuits (lighting and GFCI's) fed from a house panel at the original service.
This sounds like an issue, having branch circuits with no form of disconnect at the local building. However I can not find a code referance that does not allow this.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

I do not have my code book so I cannot offer you references, but I can tell you that each building shall be fed by a single branch circuit, so the ones that have circuits already will need to be addressed. Second, yes, you have to stay under the 6 throw rule. Once you bring feeder to seperate strucure, you treat it as a service, GEC system, maindisconnect (or less than 6). I did some storag facilities where the loads were slightly unknown on rough in, I put a 12 space MLO at each building,So on trim out, once everything was added, the ones that went over 6, I installed a main and hold down kit, the ones that were less than 6 I left them

OTT2

I do not have my code book so I cannot offer you references, but I can tell you that each building shall be fed by a single branch circuit, so the ones that have circuits already will need to be addressed. Second, yes, you have to stay under the 6 throw rule. Once you bring feeder to seperate strucure, you treat it as a service, GEC system, maindisconnect (or less than 6). I did some storag facilities where the loads were slightly unknown on rough in, I put a 12 space MLO at each building,So on trim out, once everything was added, the ones that went over 6, I installed a main and hold down kit, the ones that were less than 6 I left them

Mccalry's right,

225.30 will apply for the number of supplies. This structure may not have additional lighting and power circuits in additiion to the feeder.

225.31 requires the disconnect.

225.32 tells you where.

225.33 tells you how many.

Essentially you will need to comply with Part II of Article 225.

Check out 250.32 for grounding.

Good luck!

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The six disconnect rule would be applicable (225.34 if the supply is protected at the 1st building, 230.72 if the conductors to the other buildings are still service conductors).
225.30 might be used to allow you to control outside lighting by an additional circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.