Bus bar ampacity/ auxiliary gutters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwain

In 366.23 the formula (1000 amperes/in.2). Does this mean 1000 amps per sq. inches of bus bar. Or does it mean 1000 amps divided by inches of bus bar squared.

If copper bus bar is 1/2 in. x 4in what would be the ampacity?

szrom

Bus bar ampacity

Bus bar ampacity

366.23 means 1000A per square inch of bus bar. A 1/4" by 4" bus bar is equal to 1 sq inch which can carry 1000A. A 1/4" by 6" bus bar is equal to 1.5 sq inches which means 1000A x 1.5 = 1500A.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
1000 Amps per square inch for Cu.

4" x 1" x .5" = 2"

That's the way I read it.

Besoeker

A figure of 1000A/ in^2 is often used in UK as a rule of thumb.
But the profile of the bar also has a bearing on the current carrying capacity.
For example a 4in by 1/4 in bar can carry about 23% more current than a 2 in by 1/2 bar for the same temperature rise even though both have the same 1.0 sq inch cross sectional area.

Note that this refers to current carrying capacity, not the permitted rating in accordance with specific codes that may apply.

szrom

But the profile of the bar also has a bearing on the current carrying capacity.
For example a 4in by 1/4 in bar can carry about 23% more current than a 2 in by 1/2 bar for the same temperature rise even though both have the same 1.0 sq inch cross sectional area.

Besoeker: Thanks for this. Do you have any reference materials (online or printed) that you could refer me to? I have been looking for this kind of information.

Status
Not open for further replies.