Multi-family dwelling--single garage

Status
Not open for further replies.

lakee911

I have a situation that needs corrected, but I do not know how to correct it.

Single structure duplex with a single garage. Currently tenant A rents garage and garage is fed (for lights, garage door opener, etc) from tenant A's electric panel. All is well.

If Tenant B wanted to rent garage, it is currently fed from Tenant A, so that's now allowed. What to do?

Short of installing a service at the garage or moving wiring back and forth each time, what is the proper code compliant way to deal with this?

Thx.

yucan2

I have a situation that needs corrected, but I do not know how to correct it.

Single structure duplex with a single garage. Currently tenant A rents garage and garage is fed (for lights, garage door opener, etc) from tenant A's electric panel. All is well.

If Tenant B wanted to rent garage, it is currently fed from Tenant A, so that's now allowed. What to do?

Short of installing a service at the garage or moving wiring back and forth each time, what is the proper code compliant way to deal with this?

Thx.

You might consider a double pole, double throw, 3 position switch.

szrom

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I don't think this is a code question. It is more of a financial/billing question.

If I were the landlord of this building I would adjust both the tenants rents based on the average monthly electricity usage in the garage. For example if both tenants pay $1000/mo rent and the average garage usage costs about $10/mo, I would change the rents to $990 and $1010.

Less of a headache for everyone.

If it ain't broke, then don't fix it!

lakee911

You might consider a double pole, double throw, 3 position switch.

Is that allowed? I don't know I mentioned that each side/tenant has a seperate service.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I don't think this is a code question. It is more of a financial/billing question.

If I were the landlord of this building I would adjust both the tenants rents based on the average monthly electricity usage in the garage. For example if both tenants pay $1000/mo rent and the average garage usage costs about $10/mo, I would change the rents to $990 and $1010.

Less of a headache for everyone.

If it ain't broke, then don't fix it!

Again, seperate services so it could be theft of service for one tenant. The other issue is if a CB trips, the renting tenant may not have access to reset it. I'll get a nasty call at 3AM on a holiday Sunday while I'm on vacation 2000mi away that its broken and they can't get their car in the garage.

Jim W in Tampa

Easy way is to rent unit A only with garage. If A does not need garage let him sub rent it to B. Would assume rent is higher for A than B. this is about the same as renting out bedroom.

dbuckley

I've been that renter - the garage was powered from dwelling A and usually rented with dwelling A but I (in dwelling B) wanted the garage, and dwelling A didn't, so I got the garage. With free electricity. I'm guessing renter A never knew they supplied the garage power, and I bet the landlord didn't either. I certainly didn't ask :)

Having said that, free eleccy for a single lamp used for a couple of minutes a day is not that big a deal of a situation, though, yes, technically, its theft of power.

For the record - the supply never failed so the fuse / breaker reset issue never cropped up.

Since you're allowed one circuit to the garage under code, then a locakable, two way double (or triple if MWBC) pole switch with either a centre off or break before make contacts does sound a good idea. I'd use a decent switch though rated at 600V rather than a snap switch!

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
As far as it being a Code issue, 240.24(B) seems like it would make it a violation to keep the feed from Apt "A".
If all parties concerned were agreeable to the present arrangement I would see it as a non-issue. If you change it today, next month the tenant arrangement might.
As you mentioned, a separate service or house panel is the only "true" long-term solution.

hurk27

Easy fix:

remove all circuits from apt A to garage

wire extension cord long enough to reach each outdoor receptacle at each apt.

When apt B want garage, have extension cord plugged in to apt B outdoor receptacle or Visa Versa.

Problem solved.

Naaa don't do it:)

garage should have a separate service and who rents it pays the electric.
But the 3-pole transfer switch would or could be a good idea as long as it also transfers the neutral I can't see a problem with that, and they do make 30 amp transfer switch's, as long as it gets locked up and the landlord has the key.

LawnGuyLandSparky

In the garage install 2 lights on 2 switches, and 2 ceiling receptacles for the GDO, and wire them from each unit with switches to turn their power OFF if they're not renting the garage. Hide the switches in a closet labeled "Garage power and lighting if you rent it, off if you don't."

szrom

LarryFine was right. If you go the double throw switch route, you will need to switch the neutral as well (4P switch, Square-D DTU462) and both services will need common equipment grounds and GECs bonded together.

Personally, I don't see why anyone would go to the trouble. Here in NYC it is very common for tennants to be submetered and/or just divide up a building's utility bill.

Good luck.:)

Jim W in Tampa

In the garage install 2 lights on 2 switches, and 2 ceiling receptacles for the GDO, and wire them from each unit with switches to turn their power OFF if they're not renting the garage. Hide the switches in a closet labeled "Garage power and lighting if you rent it, off if you don't."

You have the best idea. And as long as A or B can not access eachothers switch problem is solved. With normal use it will takes years for the amount of power cost to equal the install cost. But then if they add a freezer that just might change things a bit.

lakee911

You have the best idea. And as long as A or B can not access eachothers switch problem is solved. With normal use it will takes years for the amount of power cost to equal the install cost. But then if they add a freezer that just might change things a bit.

This requires a separate set of conductors to be run. The transfer switch option could be located at the house.

Meter comes in back of house in middle, electric panels are located in basement below. It's easy to put a small enclosure and switch on the back of the house.

Jim W in Tampa

This requires a separate set of conductors to be run. The transfer switch option could be located at the house.

Meter comes in back of house in middle, electric panels are located in basement below. It's easy to put a small enclosure and switch on the back of the house.
Yes but you still need power from B in event they get garage.
By the way what is a garage ? Place to store junk ?

LawnGuyLandSparky

Or you rent to a gearhead greasemonky, or heat the garage, or need grow lights...

LawnGuyLandSparky

OK, this is the first I heard that the garage was detached...

Status
Not open for further replies.