Penetrating garage separation wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

moresi

I have a 200 amp mb panel that is being mounted in residential one family garage on 3/4" plywood over 5/8" drywall garage / house separation wall. I have 100 amp SER cable and 3 12-2 romex conductors and 2 14-2 conductors that i need to land into this panel. Ceiling is also drywall forming right angle fire separation for dwelling with wall drywall. My cables come from unfinished attic space above and I want to run them down into panel. They penetrate ceiling separation assembly. Can I just run cables down plywood into panel and fire caulk where they penetrate drywall or should I sleve in conduit? PVC conduit? Thoughts?? Similar experiences?

wawireguy

Choose a firestop manufacturer then read through their application manual and find a application that fits what you are doing. You need to be able to reference the application to the inspector if he asks for it.

walton

Sounds like you are dealing with a one hour occupancy separation. Check with your Building Code for penetrating a 1 hour fire wall. Metal conduit and tested boxes are OK but it comes down to total square inches of penetration per 100 sq ft.of fire wall.

lakee911

What are you doing with 100A rated SER cable and a 200A panel? On the line side it wouldn't be adequetly protected. On the load side it wouldn't be code compliant (no EGC).

Right?

Jason

One-eyed Jack

What are you doing with 100A rated SER cable and a 200A panel? On the line side it wouldn't be adequetly protected. On the load side it wouldn't be code compliant (no EGC).

Right?

Jason

I don't believe he is using the 100A SER as the service feeder. He just needs to get it and the other nm cables into the 200 amp panel.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I would say that you're on the right track. I would probably sleeve it if it were me, how much is a stick of EMT?, but that's up to the AHJ.

You could just fir out around the panel and protect everything too.

One-eyed Jack

I have a 200 amp mb panel that is being mounted in residential one family garage on 3/4" plywood over 5/8" drywall garage / house separation wall. I have 100 amp SER cable and 3 12-2 romex conductors and 2 14-2 conductors that i need to land into this panel. Ceiling is also drywall forming right angle fire separation for dwelling with wall drywall. My cables come from unfinished attic space above and I want to run them down into panel. They penetrate ceiling separation assembly. Can I just run cables down plywood into panel and fire caulk where they penetrate drywall or should I sleve in conduit? PVC conduit? Thoughts?? Similar experiences?

You are only dealing with a 20 min required separation. Run a piece of emt and fire caulk around it. Be aware of conductor fill when you size it and the inspection dept. may require you to seal the end of the emt after you get all your wires in.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I'm no building code guru but if your space above the panel is attic space and not living space is fire-stopping even an issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.