Enough to be dangerous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie Bob

Never cease to amaze me...

Got a call from a lady asking me to give her an estimate on a remodeling project. She just moved in the house.
While looking around for my estimate i noticed that something was awfully odd with the range and dryer circuits ( wires exposed and wall mounted receptacles).

Wow, the range is plugged in the 30 amp dryer receptacle, and the dryer is plugged in the 50 amp receptacle.
I asked the lady she said that the guys from sears hooked them up. They just swapped the cords to accommodate the appliances where she wanted them.

Some folks know enough to be dangerous, you know?

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Although stupid, I don't think it is dangerous. As long as the dryer receptacle was protected by the properly sized overcurrent device.

360Youth

I'd tell her to call Smears back, and demand they send someone out to rectify the problem......... At no charge.

What are they going to do, come back out and unplug the appliances and tell her to call an EC? What they did is ignorant at the least, and potentially stupid, but they can't "rectify" anything.

TOOL_5150

Never cease to amaze me...

Got a call from a lady asking me to give her an estimate on a remodeling project. She just moved in the house.
While looking around for my estimate i noticed that something was awfully odd with the range and dryer circuits ( wires exposed and wall mounted receptacles).

Wow, the range is plugged in the 30 amp dryer receptacle, and the dryer is plugged in the 50 amp receptacle.
I asked the lady she said that the guys from sears hooked them up. They just swapped the cords to accommodate the appliances where she wanted them.

Some folks know enough to be dangerous, you know?

As far as the range on a 30A OCP.. not a big deal. The Dryer on the 50A circuit is all bad though.

When I moved in my house, I pulled the range out to do some cleaning. I found the alum SER wirenutted to copper #10 going to a 30A recep, with a 30A pigtail on the 50A range [with 50A OCP]. I am amased it didnt burn up. I ran 6/2 romex to the box, installed a 6-50R on the 4-11, and lastly replaced the cord.

~Matt

norcal

As far as the range on a 30A OCP.. not a big deal. The Dryer on the 50A circuit is all bad though.

When I moved in my house, I pulled the range out to do some cleaning. I found the alum SER wirenutted to copper #10 going to a 30A recep, with a 30A pigtail on the 50A range [with 50A OCP]. I am amased it didnt burn up. I ran 6/2 romex to the box, installed a 6-50R on the 4-11, and lastly replaced the cord.

~Matt

6/2 romex was never permitted for a range. You used a EGC for a neutral???? Years ago it was common for 6/2 SER AL for ranges & dryers around these parts.

Last edited:

TOOL_5150

6/2 romex was never permitted for a range. You used a EGC for a neutral???? Years ago it was common for 6/2 SER AL for ranges & dryers around these parts.

You used a welder receptacle for a range? Is your range rated for 240 Volts only?

haha.. I just did a job that involved a 6-50R for a kiln. I guess I had that on my brain. What I meant to type was that I installed a 4 wire range recep and cord, and ran 6/3 romex all the way back to the panel [that was also replaced]. I would have a pic of the panel, but its my house and of course, not completed! :)

~Matt

norcal

haha.. I just did a job that involved a 6-50R for a kiln. I guess I had that on my brain. What I meant to type was that I installed a 4 wire range recep and cord, and ran 6/3 romex all the way back to the panel [that was also replaced]. I would have a pic of the panel, but its my house and of course, not completed! :)

~Matt

Just noticed that I had written 6/2 "SER" instead of SE.... Opps.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Did a service call years ago Sears had installed a wall mount microwave in the same place one came out of, turned it on and it blew up. They told the owner it was the electric, I told them it was the microwave due to the old wave worked and was now working at thier kids house.
Sears came out with the same model # and installed again... it blew up and they said see its your electric you need a new service! I found out about the same model# called sears they checked both units and the seriale numbers were almost the same, home owner pick out a differant model they installed it turned it on and it worked.
I did not get the service change and they felt my service charge was high too!
Don't recall prob. about $140.00 two trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.