periodic torque of switch gear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Maragnano

I have been unable to find in NEC,NFPA 70B or Stalcup's a requirement for periodic torque on switch gear for a facility. Is there a rule of thumb or did I completely miss it?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The reality is that re-torquing is not required and may even be a bad idea.

Roger

as Hamlet asks: to Torque or not to Torque?

as Hamlet asks: to Torque or not to Torque?

The reality is that re-torquing is not required and may even be a bad idea.

Roger

That seems to be the industry consensus from the maintenance side, however the equipment manufacturing side seems to differ.

As the result of an incident it was discovered that the factory torque-check marks over some Bellville washers were improperly applied, eg. the connections were never torqued. The factory insisted that after shipment and before service ALL connections should be re-torqued.

If a self-adjusting fastening method is used, such as the Bellville washers, nor re-torquing should be necessary unless the connection was subjected to severe vibrations. Such vibrations would need to exceed the most severe earthquake since the the washers are tested for several G's. In other words, either we are using/specifying fasteners that do not meet their intent and specifications or we are using manufacturers who can not be relied upon to manufacture equipment properly. Both would be irresponsible engineering, if not outright silly.

In short, IMO, the manufacturers of equipment require retorquing as a CYA.

GM published a paper showing that retorquing Bellville washers will actually result in defeating it's function and can result in developing hot-spot connections.

Torque marking of self-compensating connections should indicate that they require no further actions. Other connections should be properly torqued AND may be checked for the same torque value at periodic maintenance intervals. Some people advocate initial torquing to the minimum required and check-torquing later to a higher. Sounds like a sensible approach, but I have seen no published data to prove that it actually works.

zog

I have been unable to find in NEC,NFPA 70B or Stalcup's a requirement for periodic torque on switch gear for a facility. Is there a rule of thumb or did I completely miss it?

Well I just realized my 70B grew legs but the ANSI/NETA standard is based on it and I believe says the same thing.

Inspect bolted electrical connections for high resistance using one of the following methods:
1. Use of a low-resistance ohmmeter in accordance with Section 7.1.2.
2. Verify tightness of accessible bolted electrical connections by calibrated torque-wrench
method in accordance with manufacturer?s published data or Table 100.12.
3. Perform a thermographic survey in accordance with Section 9.

The only time I would recommend using a torqe wrench (Besides installtion and aceptance tests or course) would be after a bolted fault or other similar event that may have loosened the connections.

IR scanning is not very effective either because it relies on line of sight which is not easy in most switchgear configurations, the bus sections are not easily accessable and IR scanning needs to be done under as full load as possible so you have some serious safety concerns there.

So using a microhmeter is the best method, we do this on every switchgear maintenence job and do find loose connection fairly often.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
This manufacturer wants re-tightening:

Lug%20Retighten.jpg

zog

Yep, Cover Your Assets.:cool:

Don't you just LOVE the 4 different notices and warnings? It does not yet include the labels, tags and warnings to be placed by the installer and the user. Talk about ADD?!:D

Yet no arc flash label, the one that matters is missing

dbuckley

The practice I like is to torque at installation, then using a sharpie or similar put a line that indicates alignment between the nut and bolt. Then all that is necessary is a visual inspection to verify that the nut has not moved. You can do the visual inspection just before you shoot the IR camera.

zog

The practice I like is to torque at installation, then using a sharpie or similar put a line that indicates alignment between the nut and bolt. Then all that is necessary is a visual inspection to verify that the nut has not moved. You can do the visual inspection just before you shoot the IR camera.

We do the same, each one of our techs is assigned a different color sharpie (We are hiring and pink is available) we use this method for all breakers and switchgear, that during final inspection not only can we visually verify all hardware is tight, we know who tightened it.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
And that has what to do with the OP about switchgear? Your sign is refering to wires and terminals, not switchgear bus connections.

How do you know what the OP is asking? Switchgear could mean the enclosure, I didn't see any mention of busses. He could be asking about busses or terminations, we don't know do we?

Roger

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
How do you know what the OP is asking? Switchgear could mean the enclosure, I didn't see any mention of busses. He could be asking about busses or terminations, we don't know do we?

Roger

That's the way that I read it too. :roll:

zog

Roger

What do you mean switchgear could mean the enclosure? Are you suggesting he is asking about torque specs for the covers or something? I'll bet you a bumper sticker he is asking about the bus connections.

Last edited:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
What do you mean switchgear could mean the enclosure? Are you suggesting he is asking about torque specs for the covers or something?
Could be, once again, we really don't know do we?

I'll bet you a bumper sticker he is asking about the bus connections.
And you may very well be right, but he could very well be asking about terminations.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.