Aircraft Hanger - 513

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtrezon

I have been asked to performing an electrical code survey on a number of aircraft hangers where re-building, retrofitting work is performed. The facilities dept. told me they do not have a foam fire supression system, therefore all aircraft are unfueled while in these particular hangers.

Because all aircraft are unfueled, am I correct in that all of NEC 513 (2008) should not apply?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
That is correct, based on the information provided... yet it is subject to the definition of "unfueled aircraft". For that you need to see NFPA 409-2004, as noted in the FPN to 513.1 Scope.

jtrezon

Nfpa 409 3.3.15

Nfpa 409 3.3.15

Thanks....FYI

NFPA 409 3.3.15 Definition "Unfueled Aircraft"
An aircraft whose fuel system has had flammable or combustible liquid removed such that no tank, cell, or piping contains more than 1/2 percent of its volumetric capacity.

I'll have to put this one back on the facilities folks.

WorkSafe

In reality, though, they won't be emptying fuel...c'mon, who are they kidding?

Actually, they are pretty good at defueling the aircraft before brining it into the hanger. I was a aircraft fuel systems mechanic for about 10 years before I got into safety and we never allowed a fueled aircraft into the hanger if the hanger did not meet spec, i.e. AFFF, Class 1, Div 1, etc.

mcclary's electrical

Actually, they are pretty good at defueling the aircraft before brining it into the hanger. I was a aircraft fuel systems mechanic for about 10 years before I got into safety and we never allowed a fueled aircraft into the hanger if the hanger did not meet spec, i.e. AFFF, Class 1, Div 1, etc.

They might empty the tank,,,but in order to meet that requirement they would also have to run the engine out of fuel to empty all piping. I wonder if they'll really do that?

WorkSafe

They might empty the tank,,,but in order to meet that requirement they would also have to run the engine out of fuel to empty all piping. I wonder if they'll really do that?

Negative. Running the engine dry is not good for the motor. The majority of the fuel in all the plumbing is gravity drained back into the tanks.

lakee911

Okay ... I stand corrected...

Status
Not open for further replies.