Question on grounding... 250.24B,C and 250.62D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason7777

The job is a residential house that is split in two halfs to be rented. The existing service entrance cable needs to be replaced. After talking to the local elecric supply they afformed that the electric utility in the area will not allow 2 meters in the same enclosure. This will be my first 2 meter system. Here is my game plan. 2 100 service entrance cable connected to a single service lateral. 2 meters in seperate boxes and 2 100 amp panel boards. All located right next to eachother.
Here are my questions.
1. Can I use the same grounding electrode for each 100 amp panel. For instance can I connect the grounding electrode conductors at same location on water pipe and use the same 2 ground rods.

2. If the I can use the same grounding electrodes where should the interconnection of the 2 100 amp panels be? Can there a grounding electrode conductor to each grounding bar in the Panel then out to the grounding electrode?

Thank you in advance for all responses. I am just trying to clear up for myself articles 250.24B,C and 250.62D.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You could do something like this from the NECH, a tap to each service disconnect:

250.66%20Taps.JPG

Welcome to the forum. :)

Jason7777

Thank you Infinity. I am going to use that system with split bolts...

Is there anything in the NEC about 2 services being connected to 1 lateral?

eprice

Thank you Infinity. I am going to use that system with split bolts...

Is there anything in the NEC about 2 services being connected to 1 lateral?

As you describe the scenario, I don't think you have two services. You have one service with the service lateral supplying two sets of service entrance conductors. This is allowed by 230.40 Exception No. 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.