lutron wireless dimmers anyone???

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt66electric

Has anyone used the lutron or leviton wireless RF dimmers/switches?? I'm looking to add 3-way switching capability to existing building, without massive destruction of the sheetrock to add wires ?

rich000

They work. THey are great for saving tearing apart walls without attic or crawl access.

I also have seen them as replacements for an old control system in an older house. All of the controls in the basement were replaced with Lutron Master switches and the remote switches were all over the house to replace the old switches.

danickstr

Maestro wireless is the line they introduced last year. I have installed a couple and they seem to work fine for folks. You just screw the remote to the wall and change the watch battery every 2-3 years I understand. no box, just the remote and a decora CP.

rt66electric

I'm giving it a try

I'm giving it a try

I'm giving it a try, the cutomer's wife wants it "DEARLY" ------ "Oh" the amount of money we men spend to keep our wives silent.......keeps electrician and appliance makers in business ! ! ! !!

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Supplier??

Supplier??

I have been looking for some decent wireless switches. I called Leviton's rep, got his voice mail and never got a return call. I live in a one horse town an none of the suppliers have a clue about wireless controls.

In the perfect world I am looking for switches that are mounted in the wall like wired switches. I was told that Leviton has some that use small photo cells to charge the batteries. That would be perfect for this job.

Anyone have a TX to someone that I can talk to about such a project?

I never thought to look at Lutron....

danickstr

ya go to lutron.com and try to search maestro wireless.

I think the hard wired one in the s.p. box and the three way remote come to about 140 bucks total. but no dang electrician making holes in the finished walls and ceiling

360Youth

I have used these on several jobs this past year and they work well. Several different scenarios to choose from, which makes it nice. I have had to use the phase coupler when controling more than one set of lights and circuits were on A and B lines in a home.

danickstr

the advantage (or disadvantage) of the x10 stuff is that is needs line voltage at all switch locations. Good, in that no batteries to replace. Bad in that there may be demo after all...

hunt4679

I have been looking for some decent wireless switches. I called Leviton's rep, got his voice mail and never got a return call. I live in a one horse town an none of the suppliers have a clue about wireless controls.

In the perfect world I am looking for switches that are mounted in the wall like wired switches. I was told that Leviton has some that use small photo cells to charge the batteries. That would be perfect for this job.

Stay away from Leviton they need a few more years to work out the bugs on their systems. I installed a leviton system in large house last year nothing but problems! We ended up ripping it out after about 20 service calls and installing lutron no problem since.

rt66electric

I called the help desk

I called the help desk

I called the 1-800 helpl number on the lutron home page

the nice lady finnaly recomended the "lutron store" home page the prices are high but give you a ball park estimate, she aslo reluctantly gave me a msrp listing.

look under " nearest supplier location"
I used the not-so-local light bulb supplier but they were willing to take a credit card over the phone and have the items directly shipped to my house/shop

Mike Lang

I've put a few Insteon wireless 3-ways in and they have worked fine. The good thing about them is they aren't really wireless, you have to wire them to a feed only (it helps if they are on the same circuit but they don't have to be). Once the new switch is feed and the original switch is hooked just like it was before as a single pole they communicate with each other through the existing wiring. They use a certain frequency and they don't get screwed up by wireless devices and best of all they don't need batteries.

Although I did install one once on a 6000 sq ft house and I needed a repeater or amplifier.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Stay away from Leviton they need a few more years to work out the bugs on their systems. I installed a leviton system in large house last year nothing but problems! We ended up ripping it out after about 20 service calls and installing lutron no problem since.

What leviton were you using?
what size home?

rt66electric

fan switch canopy only

fan switch canopy only

I don't remeberthe brand...probably Leviton, but big orange is stocking the wireless units now...assuming you have one near you.

c2500

I,ll look again; The ones I found at blue were designed fit in the ceiling fan canopy only: no good for a add on 3-way application>

rt66electric

install update

install update

Finnally installed the MAESTRO dimmers ...... It took took a LONG time for shipping... I had to reorder ( she change her mind white/Ivory) The install went easier than expected. The set up up for sender/reciever was too easy!!! Has a fade-on/fade-off and preset features. The battery remote switch fits in a decora trim plate , stick it anywhere, it looks like a regular wall witch plate. The customer's wife is very happy not to climb stairs to turn off light, and husband is happy fornot tearing up sheetrock. The price is about $150 for dimmer/remote combo.

e57

Radio Ra 2 is using the same Pico remote, and finally have a KP that acts as a dimmer in retrofit situations - like where the front door switch is where they need a KP, and it is also the only location for a dimmer.

Also Note that Meastro has two remote dimmers - the IR version (available at most big box), and the RF "Meastro Wireless" which differ widely in function, and only slightly in cost. Only the "Meastro Wireless" remote can be wall motned as if it were a switch.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
It's been a few years back but I had numerous problems with a Leviton system. They may have debugged it by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.