Flexible Cords Article#400

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike01

in article 400 it addresses flexible cords and in 400.8 "Uses Not Permitted" (5) "Where concealed by walls, floors, or ceilings or located above suspended or dropped ceilings" I take this to indicate any ceiling mounted equipment such as TV's, Projectors, etc with cord an plug connections are prohibited from routing their "cords" thru the mounting device to a receptacle above the suspended (lay-in) grid ceiling system, a receptacle flush in the ceiling is acceptable and even a receptacle above the ceiling space is acceptable but not the "cord" connecting the equipment to the receptacle if routed above the grid. Does this sound correct? Are there any exceptions other that those listed in 400.7 anywhere in the code I am missing??

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I see no exceptions that would permit the cord to be above the ceiling.

1019512720_2.gif

raider1

Staff member
I agree with Rob,

There are no exceptions that would permit flexible cord to be installed above a suspended ceiling.

Chris

BillMaul

the first sentence in 400.8 *Unless specifically permitted in 400.7*

the first sentence in 400.8 *Unless specifically permitted in 400.7*

in article 400 it addresses flexible cords and in 400.8 "Uses Not Permitted" (5) "Where concealed by walls, floors, or ceilings or located above suspended or dropped ceilings" I take this to indicate any ceiling mounted equipment such as TV's, Projectors, etc with cord an plug connections are prohibited from routing their "cords" thru the mounting device to a receptacle above the suspended (lay-in) grid ceiling system, a receptacle flush in the ceiling is acceptable and even a receptacle above the ceiling space is acceptable but not the "cord" connecting the equipment to the receptacle if routed above the grid. Does this sound correct? Are there any exceptions other that those listed in 400.7 anywhere in the code I am missing??

Mike, I have automatic door openers control equipment located above the "lay-in" ceiling the is cord connected to a receptacle above the ceiling. Does Act. 400.7(A)(8) & (B) allow this equipment?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
What would it take (i.e., how much effort) to disconnect the equipment, and remove it from the ceiling space? Is there a periodic (e.g., monthly) requirement to remove the equipment, bring it back to a lab space, clean and test it, then put it back?

If the answers are that you first would need to de-tension and disconnect the chain that operates the door, then unbolt the equipment from its mounting plate, and if this is something that you only do on the rare occasion that you need to replace it because it had failed, then you are not permitted to use flexible cords and receptacle outlets to feed that equipment.

BillMaul

Card readers

Card readers

I also have card readers with low voltage transformers that have factory power cords simular to computer power cords that are located above the ceiling. How do you power such an item, that nobody wants to see exposed below the ceiling.

raider1

Staff member
I also have card readers with low voltage transformers that have factory power cords simular to computer power cords that are located above the ceiling. How do you power such an item, that nobody wants to see exposed below the ceiling.

Is the power cord of a type listed in 400.4?

Sometimes the cable from the low voltage transformer is a class 2 or class 3 cable and Article 400 would not apply.

Chris

LawnGuyLandSparky

Too bad. "It's ugly / unsightly" isn't justification to violate the code.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Show them the verbiage in 90.1.

You're the guy from Article 100 - where it defines Qualified Person.

Status
Not open for further replies.