mobile home service upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
estimating to upgrade a 50 amp pedestal to 100 amp for a mobile home. this is the first for me. the g contractor is adding another side to this mobil home and he needs a second subpanel for the new side, (50 amp). the existing sub is also a 50 amp. not familiar with these types of service mains, are they manufactured to only run subs? its a great opportunity.if i can be efficient at this i can jam on the whole trailer park. heeeeeeelp meeeeeeeeee.

AV ELECTRIC

Check to see if the pedestal is just rated for 50 amps they may have just used a 50 amp breaker for that home. It may be rated for much higher probably 100 amps . Be careful as Augie was alluding to trailer parks can be notorious for slow payments and bargain basement prices . You have to ask the question why does this place look like an electrician hasn't been here in 50 years ? Because nobody would touch it.

growler

Be careful as Augie was alluding to trailer parks can be notorious for slow payments and bargain basement prices .

This is very true and that's why you need to let them know that you get paid before you leave.

The real problem with something like this is getting a building permit to add on to a mobile home in a mobile home park. I would check to see if this GC can do this job legally, if it's under the table then walk away.

kbsparky

Be careful here. Mobile homes are not allowed to have multiple feeders. You will have to upgrade the main panel in the home, and then feed any new subpanel(s) from that.

IF the outside pedestal is not sufficient capacity, then it will have to be upgraded as well, and a new feeder assembly installed to the mobile home.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
estimating to upgrade a 50 amp pedestal to 100 amp for a mobile home. this is the first for me. the g contractor is adding another side to this mobil home and he needs a second subpanel for the new side, (50 amp). the existing sub is also a 50 amp. not familiar with these types of service mains, are they manufactured to only run subs? its a great opportunity.if i can be efficient at this i can jam on the whole trailer park. heeeeeeelp meeeeeeeeee.

Work on the pedestal.

I would not touch a 'modified' unit.

mobile park

mobile park

thanks guys, i see i wasnt to far off in my thinking. this place does have multiple feeders, its looped in with someother trailer. the contractor is getting a 100 amp meter and i gave hima price to drop in a new breaker and feed the new panel.

Buck Parrish

Couldn't agree more. But getting paid before you leave might be hard. You might want to get a good portion of it up front. Just to test the waters.;)
Like the others I have learned the hard way.

While a exterior mobile home upgrade is done by a electrician.

The interior is better off done by an exclusive mobile home company. Such as a mover. The outlets and switches are one piece. Cover device and box is prefab, one device.

Last edited:

shockin

the g contractor is adding another side to this mobil home

No offense to those who live in mobile homes.

But I can't imagine anyone I would consider a GC to touch one of these things. A typical addition is usually more like a lean-to made out of OSB plywood and old pallets.

There is a really nice trailer park in Apen CO where the trialers are like $1M each. Maybe that's what the OP is refering to. If not run away and don't look back. We won't even take a service call at those places.

electricguy

Had a customer last week call and he syas he has "gutted" his mobile home a 1973 model single wide I assume an addition also,wanted a complete rewire and service etc I said probally starting around 15,000 to bring to todays code. i didnt get the job :)

kwired

Electron manager
How does one put an addition on a mobile home and still call the end result a mobile home? Outside of a simple lean to porch or something similar that detaches easily. Even this type of addition I would normally supply from the service equipment and not from the mobile home equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.