Distribution Panel Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

bgs1362

I have an indoor project that I am installing a distribution panel (PDP 5E2),1600 amp MCB, 480 volt, 3ph, 4w. I am bringing power for this from a 1600 amp breaker in an existing switchboard (attachment).
My question is, does the main for PDP 5E2 need to be ground fault?

bgs1362

I'm not sure what you mean. I'm being told that the main circuit breaker for PDP 5E2 has to be GFI since it is 1600 amp. I'm unclear on whether the code requires this or not.

bgs1362

I will take a look. Thanks

I want to make sure I am clear in my head on this because I'm hearing conflicting things from other people that I have asked. One is telling me that the MCB needs to be GFI because it's over 1000 amps, the other is telling me that since it is not a service entrance that the MCB doesn't have to be GFI.

ron

Look at the sections references. If it is 277v and 1KA then it needs gfp unless it is protected upstream. Remember that sds's will not reflect gf's on the primary or input side adequately when the fault is on the secondary or out put side

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
. . . the other is telling me that since it is not a service entrance that the MCB doesn't have to be GFI.
That person appears to be unaware of the requirement that applies to feeders (as others have cited already). There is a similar requirement for services. But your distribution panel is not a service panel, so that would not apply.
One is telling me that the MCB needs to be GFI because it's over 1000 amps. . . .
That is true, I think, perhaps, maybe a little. :grin: Do you know if there is a breaker upstream of you new D/P, but downstream of any transformer, that has a GFI device?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
One related question for the group: 215.10 places the requirement for GFI on a breaker, and specifically the "feeder disconnect." So which breaker would that be, the main breaker on the downstream panel or the one that protects the feeder and that is located on the upstream panel? :confused:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I'm bad about reading more into something than I should but in this case exception 2 states in part: Exception No. 2: The provisions of this section shall not apply if ground-fault protection of equipment is provided on the supply side of the feeder
It appears to me that applies precisely to the OP's situation. Am I "under looking" this time ?

cpal

I'm bad about reading more into something than I should but in this case exception 2 states in part: Exception No. 2: The provisions of this section shall not apply if ground-fault protection of equipment is provided on the supply side of the feeder
It appears to me that applies precisely to the OP's situation. Am I "under looking" this time ?

from the HB
It should be noted that ground-fault protection of feeder equipment is not required if protection is provided on an upstream feeder or at the service. However, additional levels of ground-fault protection on feeders may be desired so that a single ground fault does not de-energize the whole electrical system. See 230.95 for further commentary on ground-fault protection of services. Also, see 517.17, which requires an additional level of ground-fault protection for health care facilities.

I would also suggest that under this discussion, that 240.13 be reviewed to ensure compliance

Last edited:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
No, but we are all making an assumption that there is, in fact, GFI protection somewhere upstream. There should be, I suppose, and if there is then this new panel won't need it. But the presence of upstream GFI protection needs to be verified.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
does his attached schematic not show a GF upstream ?
It does not. There is a switchboard upstream, and the one-line only shows the feeder breaker on that switchboard and the feeder to the new D/P. We don't see the main breaker on the switchboard, and we don't have any breaker setting information (such as the annotation LSIG on the main).

Status
Not open for further replies.