314.16 (B)1 Unbroken conductor box fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have recently been doing some studying the NEC and need another opinion here. My question is on Article 314.16 (B)1. Specifically, if I were to leave a coil of wire in a j-box long enough to be spliced onto in the future would that wire need to be counted as 1 wire or 2? My thinking is that it would need to be counted as 2. (the loop would need to be 12" long so that when cut in half you would have (2) 6" pieces). This would make it "twice the the minimum length required for free conductors in 300.14" However, the text that I am studying from seems to be counting this as one conductor. What do you guys think?
Thanks, Dave

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

I agree if you left 12" or more on the loop. If the loop were shorter I believe it would count as one

300.14 Length of Free Conductors at Outlets, Junctions, and Switch Points.
At least 150 mm (6 in.) of free conductor, measured from the point in the box where it emerges from its raceway or cable sheath, shall be left at each outlet, junction, and switch point for splices or the connection of luminaires or devices. Where the opening to an outlet, junction, or switch point is less than 200 mm (8 in.) in any dimension, each conductor shall be long enough to extend at least 75 mm (3 in.) outside the opening.
Exception: Conductors that are not spliced or terminated at the outlet, junction, or switch point shall not be required to comply with 300.14.

Thanks guys for the comments,
Let me phrase the question a different way. Is there any way that you could leave a service loop long enough to splice onto in the future and only have it count as one wire, as far as box fill is concerned? (legally that is)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I have recently been doing some studying the NEC and need another opinion here. My question is on Article 314.16 (B)1. Specifically, if I were to leave a coil of wire in a j-box long enough to be spliced onto in the future would that wire need to be counted as 1 wire or 2? My thinking is that it would need to be counted as 2. (the loop would need to be 12" long so that when cut in half you would have (2) 6" pieces). This would make it "twice the the minimum length required for free conductors in 300.14" However, the text that I am studying from seems to be counting this as one conductor. What do you guys think?
Thanks, Dave

If you had a loop of less than 12" it counts as one conductor. Cut it and it counts as two conductors but now you may have a problem with each conductor being less than the required 6". So if you think that you may need to cut it in the future leave more than a 12" loop and count it as two conductors towards box fill.

Status
Not open for further replies.