Blogs, Tweets, Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
This is a companion topic to one I posted on the Contractors and Estimating section.
As an electrician, how many of you would blog on an electrical site?
Do you subscribe to Mike Holts Tweets?
Would you use facebook for finding electrical services or products?

480sparky

I have yet to see a reasonable purpose for the existence of Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Bebo, GoogleBuzz, Jaiku, MSN Spaces.....

WorkSafe

I agree. Kids play toys is the only use I see for that stuff.

Actually, they can be a great communications tool. In order for contractors these days to have work or at least more work, they need to be get into the technology age where lots of their potential customers may be.

Almost all companies have websites these days to show off their services to potential clients, and Facebook, Twitter, etc, is just another avenue to get clientele.

480sparky

Actually, they can be a great communications tool. In order for contractors these days to have work or at least more work, they need to be get into the technology age where lots of their potential customers may be.

Almost all companies have websites these days to show off their services to potential clients, and Facebook, Twitter, etc, is just another avenue to get clientele.

So instead of having a web site, it's better to have a Twitter page now?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I don't get Twitter.

I do update my company's facebook page, and if anyone searches my company's name on google, the facebook page is front and center. I try to post things that are informative or humorous, and endeavor to create some original material. I don't see it as a replacement for a company website, but as a touch of personality to make us stand out maybe a little bit more. Might be just enough to generate a call, you never know.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

I don't see these social network sites as of any real use to a contractor that only does commercial and industrial work...maybe they would be of some use to contractors who do residential work. I don't see the social network sites as the same thing as a web page.

iwire

Staff member
Almost all companies have websites these days to show off their services to potential clients,

Yes and I consider that almost mandatory at this point.

and Facebook, Twitter, etc, is just another avenue to get clientele.

As far as Facebook I would NEVER look at it.

As far as Twitter, that IMO would only serve to irritate potential customers just like telemarketing, unsolicited faxes with advertising and any other 'push' advertising.

Make your services easy to find when I look for them and invisible when I am not looking for them. :)

nhfire77

Website, yes. It is an invaluable communication and revenue
tool. If I could justify it, I would have am e commerce page as a place for my customers to check their balences, and PAY me.
FB updates or Tweets are annoying if they come from a commercial venture. I would intentionally avoid a company like that (personally).

Status
Not open for further replies.