Walk-in cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a customer that owns a market. He is having his walk-in cooler moved. The existing panel (220 3p) is located in a storage room. When the walk-in cooler is moved, the panel will be "in" the walk-in cooler. Is this allowable? Or do I need to move the panel to a new location outside of the cooler?

Thank you.

Steve

iwire

Staff member
IMO unless the area will be subject to wash down the panel could stay.

However some people do consider the inside of walk-in coolers as damp or wet locations and if that is the case I bet your panel is not rated for either wet or damp locations.

mpd

you would probably have some working space issues, is the inside of the cooler a damp location?

Mgraw

Occupation
Electrician
Is he going to cut a hole in the cooler wall to access the panel or move the panel to the inside? If you are going to move it inside then I would move it somewhere else. If you are cutting an access hole in the cooler then the whole panel is going to have condensation issues.

Thank you!

Thank you!

I just read 300.7. Thank you for this reference.
It looks like moving the panel is prefferable. But if it poses too much of a problem, I will need to seal the conduits.

Thank you very much for your quick responses.

Steve

kwired

Electron manager
Advantage of panel in cooler - no high ambient temperature problems.

Space in coolers is usually valuable space might want to make sure customer is willing to give up the required working space from the cooler.

e57

I wonder what the temper of the bakelite type plastic molded case circuit breaker is like at temps far below freezing. Or insulation for that matter? Maybe 'J-box' the old panel enclosure, and pipe back out someplace else, in stuffed - derated conduits if need be... But you would still need to seal them....

FWIW - one of the more fun mystery serice calls out there is got to be the jelly jar type fixtures full of water - either just inside - or just outside a walk in refer...

iwire

Staff member
I wonder what the temper of the bakelite type plastic molded case circuit breaker is like at temps far below freezing. Or insulation for that matter? .

The OP said cooler not freezer but regardless would anyone hesitate to put a breaker panel in an unheated barn in North Dakota, or a fishing shack in Presque Isle ME? :)

e57

The OP said cooler not freezer but regardless would anyone hesitate to put a breaker panel in an unheated barn in North Dakota, or a fishing shack in Presque Isle ME? :)
I just wondered what the low end of operation would be? Sure there are many places where it would be even colder outside - but some places where one should not drive a Fiero in winter...

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician

At first I thought that was a typo.

http://www.presqueislemi.com/

It's not unusual to see panels outdoors in Michigan. We see temps from minus 20 to just under plus 100 degrees in the course of a year with high levels of winds and precipitation.

I don't know how they keep working. Some of the ones I have seen have been so corroded it would take an archaeology student to identify some of the parts. But, they keep chugging right along so I wouldn't think the environment in a cooler to be something to fret over unless it was a washdown area.

Volta

I don't know how they keep working. Some of the ones I have seen have been so corroded it would take an archaeology student to identify some of the parts. But, they keep chugging right along so I wouldn't think the environment in a cooler to be something to fret over unless it was a washdown area.

As long as working means able to release the spring-tension mechanism when needed. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.