GFI near sink

Status
Not open for further replies.

rholt

What is the code for a duplex installed on a wall near a sink, the sink is installed in a office space. The recepticle is near (within 6ft) of the sink but is not on the countertop.Please help....

mcclary's electrical

What is the code for a duplex installed on a wall near a sink, the sink is installed in a office space. The recepticle is near (within 6ft) of the sink but is not on the countertop.Please help....

Welcome to the forum, it depends on the code cycle, on 05' the 6 ft' rule in 210.8 is for residential apps. In "other than residential" the 6' rule does not apply,but I believe in 08' the 6' rule is applied to "other than dwelling units"

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Also known as GFP
I am not so sure about that one. There is a difference between protecting a human against a leakage current (and you only need a fraction of an amp to be fatal) and protecting a switchgear or other service equipment against a ground fault (and that may be able to handle hundreds of amps without failing). I am accustomed to using GFCI or GFI to describe the first situation, and using GFP to describe the later situation. But in our business, there is a lot of ways to say the same thing, so you always have to be careful that the person you are talking to is using the same words in the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.