Early electrician pictures - requested

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIEngineer

Hello,

Anyone have any pictures of early electricians? I am trying to put together an presentation on how electricians have changed over time (i.e. PPE, testing instruments, practices, etc.)

Any help on obtaining these would be appreciated. Any from very old to 50's or 60's would be helful. I am mostly interested in commercial or residential but utility would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

MIEngineer

Thanks guys, good stuff. I should have been more specific though. I am thinking of people in the act of performing electrical work, more professionals, and not necessarily the DIY/disaster pictures.

zog

Thanks guys, good stuff. I should have been more specific though. I am thinking of people in the act of performing electrical work, more professionals, and not necessarily the DIY/disaster pictures.

Before I go dig up some old stuff can you be specific about what kind of electrical work? You want old substation or utility work, I am your guy, If you want more conventialal electrician stuff Iwire may have some from when he was an apprentice :)

MIEngineer

What I'm trying to get across is that arc flash is a progression. Comparing the PPE and work habits of an electrician 30+ years ago and bringing the correlation to sfety improvements in automobiles, Nascar, airplanes, etc.

Just something I'm trying to use to convince people PPE is in their best interest and not simply a company directive.

Anyway to answer the question I'm mostly interested in Commercial and Facility-type photos but any would be helpful.

zog

What I'm trying to get across is that arc flash is a progression. Comparing the PPE and work habits of an electrician 30+ years ago and bringing the correlation to sfety improvements in automobiles, Nascar, airplanes, etc.

Just something I'm trying to use to convince people PPE is in their best interest and not simply a company directive.

Anyway to answer the question I'm mostly interested in Commercial and Facility-type photos but any would be helpful.

I started a similar post a few weeks back.

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=123078&highlight=evolution

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I did a search on "Electrician 1906" because I used to work for what, at the time, was the oldest electrical supplier in Northern California and they had started in 1906 right before the San Francisco earthquake. Light bulbs were not commercially available until the late 1800's so you won't find anything older than that, but you could just do an Image Search on each year starting in maybe 1880, but realize that in those days, "photographs" were essentially portraits that you had to sit for, there were very few portable cameras that could easily be used to take pictures of people at work. That's why I started at 1906, because I knew I had seen shots like this in our old archives. The one's I've posted here are from other people, the company I worked for was long gone before the internet.

You should also check out the IBEW pages on history.

480sparky

Click Here.

I can't speak for the webmaster of the site concerning downloading the images and using them, though.

I also have some old catalogs & handbooks from yon olden years.

480sparky

Interesting, posted on You-Tube 2/10 by some guy at code-elect. Produced at Iowa State.

Hey, you know those in-bred corn peddlers..... the make the Clampetts look high-tech.
Peasant_emotes_by_admx.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.