Wooden pole for lightning protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Wiggler

I have a situation where a school has installed 2 new scoreboards (outdoor) and they are worried about lightning protection. They have contacted me about the size of bare copper wire needed to run from the top of a wooden 40 foot pole and coiled up at the base prior to being erected. Their thinking is that this pole (for whatever reason) would "protect" the scoreboards from a lightning strike.

I told them that I don't think that this will work, but they are persistant. Any ideas?

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
I have a situation where a school has installed 2 new scoreboards (outdoor) and they are worried about lightning protection. They have contacted me about the size of bare copper wire needed to run from the top of a wooden 40 foot pole and coiled up at the base prior to being erected. Their thinking is that this pole (for whatever reason) would "protect" the scoreboards from a lightning strike.

I told them that I don't think that this will work, but they are persistant. Any ideas?

NFPA 780: Standard for the Installation of Lightning Protection Systems, 2008 Edition
I don't know if you can look at it on line.

but if it were me I'd tell them to find an installer of lightning protection and get some help from him.

Hameedulla-Ekhlas

You can install one air-terminal per NFPA-780 at the top of pole and it will protect it.

bob

The utilities use #6 copper as a down conductor. If you install the air terminal as suggested, I would not offer any guarantees.

bphgravity

You really can't "hack" together a LPS, especially when you are dealing with public schools funded by tax dollars. The project needs to be analyzed and designed for the specific conditions of the geographical location, geometrics of the structure, materials of the structure, and risk to cost comparison.

Here in Florida, LPS's for public schools are mandated by law, even for the simplest of structures like this. In addition, these systems must be engineered, inspected, and third party certified.

Status
Not open for further replies.